One mother of one was brought to the hospital after her face became blue from having her ear punctured.
Courtney Taylor (Leeds) was left in great pain when her cheeks started swelling.
22 year old got her tragus (the pointed cartilage at the front of the concha) pierced on both ears.
The right side was normal, but the left was painful. It was difficult to remove the piercing.
Courtney was told by the salon piercer it was OK, but afterward her face was blue. It could lead to sepsis, according to her friends.
The young mum dashed to A&E where doctors were baffled by her condition.
The doctors were able to determine that there was no life-threatening poisoning, but the doctor said she had pierced her too close to her face. A vein and possibly even a nerve were also removed.
Courtney Taylor felt confused and in pain after her ear piercing had turned her blue.
Blue marks began to appear on her skin from the site of the piercing and spread down her neck. Friends warned the young mom that she could have sepsis.
Courtney stated that she had both her traguss pierced.
“But the left one was so painful that it became almost impossible to clean.
“I spoke to my piercer, and she was very happy with me. It’s cartilage and can swell. This makes it uncomfortable.
“I agreed to this because I had experienced similar symptoms before with another cartilage-piercing.
She had her tragus (the small, pointed cartilage at the front of concha) pierced both ways by the 22-year old.
Courtney was concerned that her left side had not healed well. However, her piercer assured her there wasn’t any reason for her to be worried.
The mum arrived at the hospital to discover that her vein had been punctured. She was then given medication and instructed to wait until the vein clots.
However, she said that her right arm was becoming less painful.
“But, my left was only getting worse, so it began bleeding.
“I looked at the mirror, and I saw that my bruising was only getting worse.
‘I rang my doctors who said it could be sepsis or an infection and to get straight down to A&E.’
‘I went to hospital and they rushed me through to a separate part of A&E so I could get seen faster.’
“The specialist said that he had never witnessed anything quite like it in his lifetime.
He called another specialist. They quickly diagnosed sepsis and thank goodness.
“He stated that the piercing was too close to his cheek and that a vein had been cut and maybe a nerve.
Courtney said, “He suggested that you leave the earring on until it is completely healed.”
“I was prescribed antibiotics and instructed to allow the vein to clot.”
“The swelling has subsided, but the pain is still intense.”
Courtney claimed that she raised the issue with the salon where she was going, and wanted to spread awareness to other people.