This horrifying image depicts the disgusting room that was littered with vomit and urine and where an autistic, 22-year old man, was kept captive by his mother, and stepfather. 

Matthew Langley (22) was so hungry that his bones showed through his skin. After being neglected for seven long months by Craig Hewitt (43), he had been kept in a locked room and left to rot.

The pair were last week found guilty of false imprisonment after Sheffield Crown Court heard Matthew was found severely dehydrated and weighing just six stone (39kg) when he was finally rescued from the vomit and faeces-ridden room.

South Yorkshire Police released this grim picture showing rubbish piles and dirty items.

This exposes the horrendous conditions Matthew endured at the hands of the Hewitts. They kept the doors locked.

South Yorkshire Police have released this grim photograph showing the rubbish strewn room, covered in faeces and vomit, where an autistic 22-year-old man was held captive by his mother and stepfather

South Yorkshire Police have released this grim photograph showing the rubbish strewn room, covered in faeces and vomit, where an autistic 22-year-old man was held captive by his mother and stepfather

Lorna Hewitt, 43, and husband Craig, 42, kept her autistic son Matthew Langley, 22, malnourished and locked up in an attic bedroom of their Sheffield home for seven months

Lorna (43), and Craig (42) kept Matthew Langley’s autistic brother, Matthew Langley locked in their Sheffield house for seven long months.

Police found vomit and faeces on the bed and floor, buzzing bugs, and the key to unlock the door.

National Autistic Society described the scene as ‘deeply troubling’.

Jurors heard Matthew was found by paramedics seriously underweight, dehydrated and ‘with his life hanging in the balance’ on June 2, 2020.

Nicholas Campbell QC was the prosecution. He stated to the court that an ambulance service had been called to Sheffield in South Yorkshire at the crack of dawn on June 2, 2020.

Matthew was taken to the hospital in an ‘insatiable state’. He had abrasions that indicated he had been on his feet, according to the prosecution.

It was discovered that he had sustained kidney damage due to severe dehydration.

Campbell said that Campbell’s sodium levels were “dangerously high.” They measured 180. They measured 180. There is real danger of death if you are above 145

“The Home Office Pathologist looked at the injuries, and concluded that Matthew had been crawling all over the objects in his path.

The court heard that Matthew also suffered from learning disabilities. He was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and double incontinence, as well as arthritis. 

The court learned that he weighed 39kg seven months prior to his arrest. 

Matthew made an excellent physical recovery, Mr Campbell stated. Matthew weighed 55kg at discharge from the hospital.

Craig Hewitt claimed that his wife Lorna found Matthew upstairs, lying down on the ground. He also said Matthew was fed, and that he had eaten in his bedroom.

He said that locks were on all the doors, as their home was once student accommodation.

According to Mr Hewitt, Matthew was locked up at night by his stepfather because Matthew would get downstairs and activate security alarms.

The court heard Lorna Hewitt gave ‘no comments’ answers to every question asked by police.

Lorna Hewitt, 43, left her son Matthew Langley so malnourished after seven months of imprisonment that his bones were visible through his skin

Craig Hewitt, 42, claimed that his stepson Matthew had only been locked in at night because he would go downstairs and set off security alarms

The Sheffield Crown Court found the couple guilty last week of false imprisonment and serious injury to an adult. Next month, they will both be sentenced

Although Mr Hewitt did not testify during the trial, his wife Lorna said that her son had stopped receiving respite stays-overs after he got tired of going to the centre.

However, Mr Campbell said that if the respite stays had been cancelled, he wouldn’t have ended up fighting for his own life in hospital.

Matthew wasn’t enjoying his time in the care home. Mrs Hewitt claimed that Matthew wanted to get home because he had become tired.

Also, she said that she was anxious about leaving Matthew alone on some occasions. However, he wasn’t left alone any other time and she made every effort to keep him safe.

According to Mr Campbell, Matthew was locked in Matthew’s room by the couple at night. Mrs Hewitt however claimed that he was downstairs and had gone out with them.

Sheffield’s Hewitts were also found guilty in causing serious harm to a vulnerable adult.

The sentence is due on February 18.