A driver accused of killing a woman and seriously injuring her husband in a crash in south Wales told witnesses he had been ‘tuning his radio’ moments before the impact, a court has heard.

Iestyn, 54-year-old from Tredegar, has denied causing death through dangerous driving. He veered onto oncoming traffic, A4046 Cwm near Ebbw Vale.

He claims that he has no memories of what happened before the fatal collision. Jones’ defense team says that he suffered from severe sleep apnoea, which caused him to lose control of his body.

Shirley Culleton (65), a Cwmbran resident, was one of the passengers in Jones’ car. She died from her injuries at University Hospital of Wales the next day.

Michael Culleton was her husband and was driving their Suzuki Swift.

Iestyn Jones (pictured), 54, is accused of causing death by dangerous driving after Shirley Culleton, 65, was killed in a head-on crash on July 6 last year near Ebbw Vale, South Wales

Iestyn Jones, 54, has been accused of dangerous driving and causing the death of Shirley Culleton (pictured), who was struck head-on in an accident on July 6, 2015 near Ebbw Vale.

For seven weeks, Mr Culleton was in the hospital while he received extensive injuries to his pelvis and ribs. He also had lacerations to one of his kidneys.

The jury was able to hear from Mr. and Mrs. Culleton that they were heading down the bypass shortly after noon when the defendant’s Hyundai 9X3 drifted into their car.

Many other drivers noticed that Mr Jones was driving on the wrong side, as did the silver Ford Fiesta driver who was right in front of Mrs Culleton.

Stephen Williams, Fiesta’s owner, stated that he turned around to avoid Mr Jones after realizing he wasn’t going to reverse.

According to Mr Williams’ statement to Gwent Police, which was read out to the court: “I realized the driver hadn’t seen me and was about to hit me.” The vehicle struck me after I pulled the steering wheel to my left.

The data from his car shows that the defendant was driving at 57mph at the time he collided with Mr Williams.

Shirley Culleton (pictured right), 65, was a passenger out for a drive with her husband Michael (left) when lecturer Mr Jones' Hyundai IX35 smashed into them on July 6 last year

Shirley Culleton (pictured left), 65, was out with Michael (left) for a drive when Mr Jones’ Hyundai II35 crashed into them.

Prosecutors claim that Jones did not attempt to break into the Suzuki Swift before he crashed into it again.

The motorists were aided by an army medic and others who spoke with Jones. He appeared to be conscious and uninjured and told them that he was’messing about’ on his radio.

Then he told the police that he was trying to tune his radio at the time of the accident.

In a police interview days later Mr Jones stated that he couldn’t remember driving the same road, but that he remembered having tuned to his radio on another road minutes earlier.

Responding to questions regarding his confessions, he stated that he did not think he understood what a witness was asking him about.

He claimed he was a meticulous and careful driver.

According to the prosecutor, “The defendant cannot now admit that he was distracted while retuning his stereo.” The incident was not an unfatal accident. It was fatal.

Matthew Roberts, the defending attorney, stated that his client was a good driver and will call an expert witness in order to testify that Jones had suffered from severe sleep apnoea episodes on the date of the accident.

Jones claimed that he suffered from headaches prior to and following the crash but had never experienced obstructive sleeping apnoea.

Roberts stated that it was an extremely tragic event with devastating results. The question in this case is whether driving this defendant, which you believe to be a criminal offense, was a crime.

An expert witness may be summoned by the prosecution to challenge the defense arguments.

Tomorrow’s evidence from Chris Goddard, forensic collision expert will be added to the trial.