After a gust of wind caused a 30ft bouncy castle to blow into the air during an Australian primary school’s end-of-the-year party, four children were killed and four more are in serious danger.   

Hillcrest Primary in Tasmania witnessed the tragic unfolding of events at 10 o’clock on Thursday. There were pupils gathering on the fields to mark the end of term and prepare for Christmas.

According to police, the freak wind event lifted the bouncy castle along with several inflatable “zorb” balls. Children were then dragged into the air and fell to the ground on the slope and across the field.

They were all Year 6 students and between 10-12 years of age. Four other children of the same age were also injured and now are in serious condition in hospital. 

Two police officers console each other at Hillcrest Primary School, in Tasmania, after four children were killed when a jumping castle flew ten metres into the air

After four children died after a jumping castle flew 10 metres in the air, two police officers from Hillcrest Primary School in Tasmania consoled each other. 

Paramedics are pictured at Hillcrest Primary School, near Devonport in Tasmania. Two children have died and several others left in a critical condition after they fell from a jumping castle at the school

Pictured at Hillcrest Primary School near Devonport, Tasmania are paramedics. Following a fall from a school jumping structure, 2 children were killed and many others are in critical condition.

Hillcrest hosted the event for only two years.

The end of the term is usually marked by a big picnic, but this was changed due to Covid’s social distancing rules.

Instead of being celebrated together, students were broken into groups called ‘cohorts’ that rotated through various activities.

Hillcrest was so taken with the concept, they decided to make it a year again. 

Apart from the bounce castle and zorbs (inflatable balls people can climb into), there was also an area for ‘wet play’ with sprinklers, and an area where you could make arts and crafts.

When the tragedy happened, it had already been just half an hours.

The officers are refusing to reveal any details about how it happened, or whether the bouncy house was securely anchored to the ground. 

The site has now been investigated and visited by the coroner.  

Darren Hine, Tasmania Police Commissioner, stated that instead of celebrating the end of primary school for these children, we are all grieving their loss.

“We are so sorry for these young men who have been taken far too early.  

Investigators are currently investigating the number of children who were at the jumping castle during the tragic events. 

Commissioner Hine stated, “It is an emotionally difficult day for all who are tragically affected by today.” 

“I’ve seen images of very upset police officers, as one would expect.” All teachers and emergency service personnel will be affected. 

The tragic scenes were almost witnessed by a schoolboy. 

He told The Mercury, “It was our turn next.” The Mercury reported that Grades five and six were first.

Bob Smith said he had seen children playing on the ground near his home.

He stated that there was one gust of wind at the end of a calm day.

“At first, we believed it was an emergency service training exercise. Then the truth of what was actually happening hit us.”

Tasmanian Premier Peter Gutwein shared his thoughts with the community.

Paramedics and police are pictured at a scene at Hillcrest Primary School after four children died in a jumping castle incident

Paramedics and police are pictured at a scene at Hillcrest Primary School after four children died in a jumping castle incident

Two rescue helicopters and multiple ambulances were sent to the scene on Thursday (pictured)

On Thursday, two rescue helicopters (pictured) and several ambulances arrived on the scene.

He stated that he was thinking of his children’s parents who were injured, and also with emergency personnel.

Scott Morrison, Prime Minister of Canada, described the incident as “unimaginably heartbreaking”.

“Young children enjoying a day of fun with their families, and it ends up in such tragic tragedy. He said it while visiting the NSW Central Coast.  

“It breaks my heart.” 

Multiple ambulances and two helicopters arrived on the scene.  

An inflatable castle was built as part of the celebration marking the school’s last day.  

According to police, ‘A wind-related event caused a jumping castle lift in the air’.

The children plummeted from 10m high about 10am. 

It has been recommended that residents avoid this area.  

Photographs of the scene show a wall made up of tarpaulin sheets as paramedics struggle to save injured patients. 

Comm Williams claimed that officers were dispatched to ‘an extremely confronting and distressing scene.  

According to the statement from the primary school, its grounds were closed until the end of the day.  

According to the statement, “We request that parents arrive to collect their children in an urgency,”

At a Covid conference, Premier Peter Gutwein spoke out about the incident on Thursday. It was clear that there were serious injuries.

He said, “As more information becomes available, we will supply it. However, as this is a primary school, my thoughts are with those involved and their parents.”

Ambulance Tasmania claimed it was responding a major incident and advised motorists from the northern part of Tasmania to move to safety. 

The school is in Devonport in northern Tasmania (pictured). Hillcrest Primary School had posted online before the accident advertising its 'Big Day In' celebration to parents

Pictured: The school can be found in Devonport in Northern Tasmania. Hillcrest Primary School advertised its Big Day In celebration online just before the tragedy.

One woman posted on Facebook, that she knew of a friend who raced to school and saw ambulances all around.

“I just spoke to my friend, who was driving to school. She’s a complete wreck,” the woman said.

According to Facebook users, the wind did not blow as hard on Thursday. A freak gust may have also ripped the jumping castle off its pegs.

A person stated, “It’sn’t even that windy here,” 

Before the accident, parents had seen an advertisement on the school’s website advertising their ‘Big Day In’ celebration. 

The school stated that students will be able to participate in a variety of activities together with their classmates. 

A GoFundMe was launched shortly after news of the tragedy broke, raising $23,958 in three hours. 

Devonport native, the organiser said that she was moved by the tragedy, and felt the need to help the families during Christmas. 

“All funds will be sent to the families who lost their children in tragic accidents. They will not only provide support but also much-needed gifts during this difficult time,” she said. 

“Any donations are greatly appreciated, and we hope that the amazing community of Devonport can unite to support these deserving or hurting individuals.”