A Missouri inmate on death row for butchering his sister-in-law and her boyfriend –  who blamed the grisly killings on his beliefs in Scientology – was found murdered in prison.  

The 38-year-old Kenneth W. Thompson was discovered dead in the 86 square foot, single-man cell housing unit at Arizona State Prison Eyman, Florence, according to the Arizona Department of Corrections, Rehabilitation and Reentry.

Prison guards identified two inmates responsible for the attack, but no other details were released. Thompson’s suicide is currently being investigated.

DailyMail.com could not reach the prison for comment at press time.

Kenneth Thompson, 38 (pictured) was on death row drove after killing his sister-in-law and her boyfriend with a hatchet before pouring acid on their bodies and setting their home ablaze

Kenneth Thompson (pictured), 38, was sentenced to death after he killed his sister and boyfriend using a hatchet. He then poured acid on their bodies before setting fire to their house.

Thompson's lawyers didn't dispute that he killed the pair when Thompson (pictured) went to trial in 2019. They argued that his faith in Scientology compelled the killing

Thompson’s attorneys didn’t contest that Thompson killed his victims when Thompson went on trial (pictured in 2019). The lawyers argued that Thompson’s faith in Scientology was what compelled his killing

Thompson's body was discovered around 1 p.m. on Wednesday in his housing unit at the Arizona State Prison in Eyeman, pictured

Thompson’s body, which was found in the Arizona State Prison Eyeman housing unit on Wednesday at 1:01 p.m.

In 2012, Thompson drove non-stop for 24 hours from his home in rural Missouri to the home of Penelope Edwards and Troy Dunn in Prescott Valley, Arizona, after the avowed Scientologist learned that his nephew was prescribed psychiatric medication.

Thompson murdered Edwards and Dunn by pouring acid over their bodies, and tormenting their homes to hide his tracks. 

After neighbors had reported that the fire was out, he was stopped by police on his way back to home. The hatchet was found with blood and human hair on it after a search of the vehicle. 

The murders occurred while neither child was present in the home at the time. He was checked into Phoenix Hospital for treatment of his mental problems. 

The murders occurred while both children, hia niece and nephew were at Phoenix hospitals for treatment in mental health. 

 It took seven years for his case to go to trial, and the jury found him guilty of two counts of first-degree murder, arson and several other felonies. This jury also recommended the death penalty. 

Although it is not clear when Thompson would be executed at the time, according to Arizona Department of Corrections the average length of time between sentencing and execution is more than 17 years.     

Thompson and the couple were killed by Thompson when Thompson was on trial in 2019. But they disagreed. Thompson was compelled by Scientologists to save his niece and nephew from spiritual death. They believe taking psychiatric medications is an ‘evil’ scam that can jeopardize the immortal soul.

Thompson was raised Scientologist but wasn’t practicing it at the time the murders occurred.  

Penelope Edwards and her boyfriend Troy Dunn were slain by Thompson is 2012

Thompson killed Penelope Edwards (and Troy Dunn), her boyfriend in 2012

Thompson's attorneys argued that he intended to bribe Edwards (pictured) into sending her children to live with him in Missouri

Thompson’s legal team claimed that Thompson wanted to bribe Edwards (pictured above) to send her children with him to Missouri.

Thompson’s attorneys argued that Edwards’ murder was not premeditated and that Thompson only wanted to confront him. 

Gloria Thompson, Thompson’s wife, was unaware of where Thompson was at the time when he left for Arizona. Thompson told Gloria that he was going to Memphis to resolve legal matters regarding the estate of his parents. Before setting out for the 1,400 miles, he bought a new cellphone.

According to his lawyers, as he was driving towards Memphis, he made an impulsive decision to turn west at an intersection of Interstate 40. The lawyer said he stayed in a motel and purchased the hatchet at nearby Walmart.  

Edwards took him to his house in a taxi. He claimed that he was planning to bribe them to allow him to take the children with him back to Missouri. 

Thompson testified directly that the conversation became violent, and he attacked with fervor. 

His attorneys had hoped for a manslaughter conviction. The jury found him guilty and sentenced him to death.  

Pictured is the Church of Scientology building in Los Angeles

The Church of Scientology Building in Los Angeles is shown.