It is a horrifying moment when hoverboard explodes in flames as it charges and sets off a house fire. Mother, aged 54, is left in an utterly disorienting state.

  • Jacqueline Barrett (54) has been placed in an Induced Coma following a horrific fire at her home.
  • Amazing footage of hoverboard charging bursting into flames
  • Ms. Barrett was saved by firefighters and remains in hospital receiving treatment
  • Son raised alarm to inform others of the dangers associated with leaving electrical items on charging.

It is an incredibly terrifying moment in which a hoverboard explodes into flames when it was unattended.

A home security camera shows how the battery ignited the flames in the Smethwick downstairs living area.

Jacqueline Barrett (54) is a 54-year-old homeowner with multiple sclerosis. She also has heart disease and continues to be in hospital.

West Midlands firefighters had to rescue Ms. Barrett from her downstairs bedroom, which was next to the living room, when the fire started.

This video was shared by Ms. Barrett’s son, who has now warned other families that they should be extra careful when charging their electrical devices.

How it started: Fire began when hoverboard's batteries spewed molten contents over carpet

The way it began: When hoverboards’ batteries spew molten content over carpet, fire was created.

This is the shocking moment a hoverboard left on charge burst into flames and started a devastating fire at the home of Jacqueline Barrett who was left seriously injured by the blaze

Here’s the moment when a hoverboard on charge burst into flames, igniting a massive fire in Jacqueline Barrett’s home. Barrett was severely injured.

The footage (pictured) has been shared by Ms Barrett's son in the hope people will take care with electrical items when they leave them on charge and not leave them unattended

Ms. Barrett’s son has shared the footage (pictured), in hopes people will be more careful with their electric items if they have them left on chargers and not neglect them.

Shane Johnson, 34 years old, stated that it is a terrible situation. My mom is seriously ill at the hospital. This house was completely destroyed by fire and smoke.

“Mum called me just moments after the explosion, to tell me that there had been an explosion.

“First, I called the fire company. Then I got in my car and drove to the woman as soon as possible.

“I called my dad, and some other friends. Some were there earlier than me. Dad tried to open the door to reach mum but the fire’s heat was too intense.

Crews from West Midlands Fire Service responded to the incident just after 5pm on Saturday

West Midlands Fire Service firefighters responded quickly to the call at 5:05 on Saturday 

Police closed the road while multiple fire crews battled the blaze in Smethwick on Saturday

The road was closed by police while several fire engines battled the flames in Smethwick.

Safety Tips to Charge Electric Devices 

  • Don’t leave your items unattended under or in a bed.
  • Don’t overcharge items. Once they’re charged, unplug them
  • Use only branded and genuine cables for your device.
  • Stop using cables that are broken or frayed and get them replaced 
  • Verify that the current ratings and output voltage of the charger are equal to your electric device. 
  • Buy only reputable sellers and ensure that they comply with British safety standards. 

If anyone is looking for a way to warn others about charging devices while unattended or plugging them in after they have fully charged up, this is it. You could be the victim.

West Midlands Fire Service (WMFS), responded quickly to the call at 5:15 p.m. on Saturday, November 13.

The fire was tackled by five fire engines, a Brigade Response Vehicle and nearly thirty firefighters.

Within five minutes of mobilization, the first team arrived at the property to face a serious fire.

Jacqueline was quickly found by firefighters wearing breathing apparatus and taken to the hospital.

A WMFS fire investigator confirmed the accident because a hoverboard had been charged inside the home.

Safety tips were shared by the crew for those who have electrical devices that need charging. 

Pete Wilson, WMFS Strategic Lead for Prevention said that the incident was “horrible.” Our thoughts and prayers are with Jacqueline and her loved ones during this difficult time.

«We were extremely grateful to Shane to allow us to share the home surveillance video. 

Pictured: the burnt remains of the hoverboard which started the fire in Smethwick on Saturday

Pictured: The burnt remains from the hoverboard, which sparked Saturday’s fire at Smethwick

Pictured: scene where the fire took place on Saturday night at Ms Barrett's Smethwick home

Pictured is the scene at which Ms. Barrett’s Smethwick house caught fire on Saturday night

“It should serve as a strong warning to those who are charged with electrical equipment to be careful.

“We know that Christmas will bring people buying electronic items, so this warning comes at a crucial time.

‘Please – always buy goods from reputable retailers and check they meet British safety standards.’