Liverpool Women’s Hospital bomber was killed by fire and explosion caused by his device, which he had made with “murderous intent”, coroner rules

  • The explosion and subsequent fire caused the death of the bomber at Liverpool Women’s Hospital
  • Emad Al Swealmeen (32), detonated an homemade bomb in front of the hospital
  • According to police, the bomb was made from homemade explosives with ball bearings

Liverpool Women’s Hospital Bomber was killed by an explosion caused fire and smoke from his improvised device, which he made with murderous intent. 

Emad Al Swealmeen (32), detonated an explosive device outside of the hospital, killing himself and injuring David Perry, a taxi driver.

Police say the bomb was made from homemade explosives with attached ball bearings.

Senior coroner Andre Rebello recorded a narrative conclusion during the Liverpool and Wirral Coroner’s Court inquest. He said that Emad Jamil Salman al Swealmeen was killed in a taxi near Liverpool Women’s Hospital.

He was killed by the explosion of an improvised explosive weapon he carried in his taxi. He was found to have made the explosive, which is designed to release shrapnel with murderous intent.

Emad Al Swealmeen (pictured), 32, started building a bomb factory at a rented bedsit as early as April, according to police

According to police, Emad Al Swealmeen, 32, began building a bomb factory in a rented bedit in April.

Emad Al Swealmeen, 32, detonated a homemade bomb outside the hospital just before 11am on November 14, killing himself and injuring taxi driver David Perry

Emad Al Swealmeen (32), detonated an homemade bomb in front of the hospital, just before 11 a.m. on November 14, injuring David Perry, a taxi driver, and killing himself.

The device was said to have been made in Rutland Avenue, at Al Swealmeen’s flat.

He said, “It is not clear whether the inventor intended for it to explode when it did.”

Police say Swealmeen started to build a bomb factory on a rented bedroom as far back as April.

The property’s trace evidence shows that he purchased a variety of chemicals which could be used to make more than one type explosive. This includes the one used by 7/7 London bombers.

Shortly after Al Swealmeen had accidentally detonated himself at Liverpool Women’s Hospital Remembrance Sunday, armed police stormed the Sefton park bomb factory.

Bomb disposal officers conducted a controlled explosion within the park the next day. Rutland Avenue remains closed, which is where the explosives plant was.

Continue reading…