He claimed that he had been depressed from a past spell of terrorization in which he had terrorised another ex. 

Callum Whittingham, 21, from Stretford, Manchester, would assault the teenager and then claim he ‘could not help it’ whilst trying to distance her from her friends and family, stating that they did not love her anymore. 

After pleading guilty to two counts of coercive behavior, he was placed on remand and could be sent to jail. 

But he was freed with 18 months jail term suspended for two years after saying a nine week stretch imposed upon him in August – over another domestic incident upon another partner – had a ‘negative effect on his depression.’

Callum Whittingham 21 from Stretford (Manchester), being released from Minshull Street crown court, Manchester. 

He was freed with 18 months jail suspended for two years after saying a nine week stretch imposed upon him in August over another domestic incident upon another partner had a 'negative effect on his depression'

The 18-month sentence was suspended for two year after he said that the nine-week suspension he received in August due to an incident at home with another partner resulted in a ‘negative impact on his depression.

Whittingham told Minshull Street Crown Court by Maurice Greene that he suffered ‘considerable trauma’ in his childhood after the death of his birthmother at 16 and then his adoption father a full year later. 

Whittingham used to leave voicemails for the girl, threatening their family and refusing to allow her to leave his home. He also put a hot plate on Whittingham’s chest.

Whittingham split with the youngster and he found a new partner. He later said to police that Callum had made him feel so much better. Fear of him bumping into me, I haven’t left my house.

“I get nightmares every night and I wake up in panic. My boyfriend has been making me depressed and I’m now afraid to move. Callum scares me.

Whittingham was reported to have started dating the girl in March of this year.

“They used social media to talk and then went on dates. David Lees, the prosecutor. “Initially, things were going well. But she noticed that he was not enjoying her company with her friends.

“He threatened to assault her. He claimed he couldn’t stop it. He told her that his friends were not her real friends. Then he said to her that she was not loved by her family.

“He threatened to kill himself if she didn’t want to come to his house. He called her a “slag” and said that she was fat. He’d also tell her that he was in a relationship with another woman and then accuse her cheating.

She said that he once chased her on a tram, and then assaulted it because she had laughed while talking to him over the phone. He made her so miserable that she didn’t feel like she could leave. He then said to her, “What have I been telling you about being on a phone?” And then he hit her.

The sentencing judge Maurice Greene told Whittingham (pictured) at Minshull Street Crown Court that he had faced 'considerable trauma' in his life and suffered with 'mental health issues'

Whittingham was told by Maurice Greene, Minshull Street Crown Court judge, that he suffered from’mental issues’ and had experienced ‘considerable trauma in his lifetime’.

He bullied her until she consented to having sex. His voicemails were abusive and he threatened her family. The couple split and reconnected in July. She went to his home to continue their relationship, but it was back the way they were.

“He wouldn’t let her go on her own. He once put a hot plate on her chest. While he admitted to his use of violence on occasion, it was not a common occurrence. He said he’d slap the victim but not kick it. However, he doesn’t accept threats of killing but admits that the victim was assaulted but didn’t use any weapon. He also said that the victim wasn’t pushed to the ground.

Whittingham was arrested in August after making malicious communications to a partner, and for criminal damage in a domestic relation.

Adam Brown, the defense counsel said in mitigation that Adam has significant difficulties and finds the custodial environment difficult. I respectfully submit that he should not be sent back into custody. He is unable to control his emotions.

His birth mother passed away when he turned 16 years old, and his adoptive father when he was 17 years. He had been in care homes for a while and has always been looked after. If he’s taken into custody, he could be made homeless because his accommodations are no longer available.

He accepted the victim as a teenage girl. His actions had caused her misery. His depression was worsened by his custody. He has a good chance of being rehabilitated.

Whittingham was told by Judge Maurice Greene, the sentencing judge: “You made victims’ lives miserable and afraid because she didn’t know what was happening at that time.” She would beat her up, name-call her and prevent her from visiting her friends.

“You claimed that she couldn’t rely on anyone but you, and would harm herself if she didn’t meet you. After following her, you struck and assaulted the woman for laughing over the telephone. She didn’t feel she could go without you.

You would hit her with a hammer and get jealous when she sends a text message. If she got angry, you’d hit her on the face. She was constantly afraid of being attacked. It made her feel trapped and scared to leave the house.

‘She’s now with a boyfriend, and she is flinching when he moves. It was a persistent and deliberate attempt to create fear and distress.

“But, it’s quite obvious that you have experienced significant trauma in your lifetime and have mental health problems. You lost your adopted father when you turned 17 years old, and your mother when you turned 16. Attention deficit hyperactivity and other anxiety disorders have been identified.

“Custody had an enormous effect on your mental health. You were placed in adult custody for nine weeks on August 20, 2021. This has had a significant impact on your mental well-being. Previous instances of self-harm have occurred. These matters have allowed me to temporarily suspend my sentence in prison.

Whittingham also received orders to comply with 45 rehabilitation days as well as a programme called “Building Better Relationships” and 80 hours of work unpaid. Whittingham was prohibited from speaking to the girl for 5 years.