Covid Chaos strikes the Second Ashes Test as two media personnel test positive. BBC’s Test Match Special is unable to air because of this. 

  • One media member tested positive before the start of Day 4 of Ashes’ Test
  • One of them was working for UK media during the Test in Adelaide
  • It was clear of the BBC commentary box at the stadium for Sunday’s action 
  • For the fourth day, Test Match Special on BBC aired

Another coronavirus outbreak erupted at the Ashes Test after Covid-19 was detected in two of its media staff.

The two men were believed to have worked for different broadcast organizations at Adelaide Oval, with the other one being from the UK.

After the positive diagnosis, the BBC media box and Australia’s ABC commentary were both empty. The former’s Test Match Special program was forced off-air due to these positives. 

Before the fourth day, news of the positive first test emerged. The person responsible is understood to have interviewed England batsman Dawid Malan Saturday.

Two members of the media at the second Ashes Test in Adelaide tested positive for Covid on Sunday

At the Ashes Second Test in Adelaide, 2 media personnel tested positive for Covid Sunday

One of the individuals did an interview with England's Dawid Malan (above), who was not deemed a close contact

Interview with Dawid Malan, England (above), was done by one of these individuals. He wasn’t considered close to the interviewee. 

Malan could not be considered close to Malan because the interview took places outside.

Adelaide Oval issued the following statement.

“SA Health” is aware, and has begun to track and notify these people’s contacts.

The BBC's Test Match special, led to Jonathan Agnew, was forced to go off air as the UK broadcaster's commentary area was cleared out

Jonathan Agnew’s BBC Test Match special was canceled after the UK broadcaster removed his commentary.

According to our pre-planning, this is a deep cleaning of all relevant areas. We also facilitate alternative facilities as necessary for the officials involved.

Further into the day, it was confirmed that a second positive result had been reported by an employee of the ground. The two cases required additional testing for other members of media.

After being deemed to be in close contact with the coronavirus, Australia’s Captain Pat Cummins was removed from the match.