Police release CCTV of two hooded suspects after £300,000 Margaret Thatcher statue in her home town was vandalised with red paint and communist symbol

  • Multiple attacks have been made on Margaret Thatcher’s sculpture, 10 feet high.
  • The £300,000 work has been erected in the late PM’s hometown of Grantham
  • Video footage shows two men in masks approaching the statue on Saturday 
  • Officials from the Council installed CCTV on the spot to reduce risk of vandalism  

CCTV footage of two people police are looking for in relation to vandalism against the Margaret Thatcher statue has been released by the police.

The £300,000 memorial to the former Prime Minister was targeted for the second time in two weeks last weekend after being installed a fortnight ago in Grantham, Lincolnshire.

A red paint attack was made on the granite sculpture, measuring 10 feet tall. Saturday saw the addition of a red sickle symbol and hammer to the fence.

Lincolnshire Police has issued a CCTV Appeal to find two suspected hooded men who were caught in camera at that time in their area.

This 12 second video shows them dressed in black, with face masks on. One of them is carrying a white bag.

Lincolnshire Police are searching for these two men who are believed to have vandalised a statue of Margaret Thatcher which had been installed in her native Grantham

Lincolnshire Police are looking for two men believed to be responsible for vandalizing Margaret Thatcher’s statue in Grantham. 

The men are believed to have daubed red paint on the statue which had been placed on a 10ft high plinth in an effort to keep her away from vandals

Red paint was daubed on the statue by men to deter vandals. It had been set on a plinth 10ft high.

According to a spokesperson from the force, they said that the group would be happy to discuss the incident with criminal damage to Margaret Thatcher’s newly-erected statue.

The incident took place in St Peters Hill (Grantham) at 11.10 pm on the 28th of May.

“It is thought that a can of red paint was used to damage the statue.

“Fence surrounding the Hammer and Sickle was painted with spray paint.

Although the CCTV footage cannot clearly show the facial features of these individuals, the distinct clothing, build and walking style could aid in identification.

“If you are able to help, please dial 101 and mention incident number 488 dated 28 May.

On the day the controversial statue was installed, university worker Jeremy Webster, 59, threw eggs at it and was later fined £90 under Section 5 of the Public Order Act. 

South Kesteven District Council officially unveiled the statue at a £100,000 ceremony in the Iron Lady’s home town.

Kelham Cooke is the council leader. He stated that the memorial was funded by public donations to Public Memorials Appeal (PMA). It would have been right for them to hold a celebration marking completion of the project.

As well as covering the statue in red paint, the vandals pained a hammer and sickle on the side of a hording

The vandals not only covered the statue with red paint but also used a sickle and hammer to damage the side of the hording.

The £300,000 memorial, pictured, has been attacked by vandals several times since it was erected last month

The £300,000 memorial, pictured, has been attacked by vandals several times since it was erected last month

“Following its May 15 installation, the memorial was anticipated to become a focal point for discussion and debate drawing a variety of views. This has been the case.

Although Lady Thatcher’s politics and legacy polarized opinion, her achievements as Britain’s longest serving Prime Minister and first woman Prime Minister should be recognized in her hometown.

“She was raised in Grantham, and she went to Grantham school. I think that the Memorial here will bring a lot of positive energy into the community.

The local economy will benefit from the attraction of people who come to the Memorial and the Grantham Museum exhibition.