Nadim Zahawi, education secretary (pictured at Broadcasting House this AM) refused to rule out closing schools in the New Year.

In the ongoing battle against Omicron, the highly contagious variant of Omicron disease spread by the Government, the Education Secretary has not ruled out the possibility that schools will be closed in 2019.

Nadim Zhawi, a Minister of Education said that this morning it was still investigating the variant. It stated that schools are being protected and was working to make sure schools are open. However, the Ministry did not offer any guarantee that schools will be open again in the New Year.  

Andrew Marr from the BBC asked Andrew Marr whether he could promise schools would not close. Andrew Marr replied that ‘We’re absolutely working to ensure all schools are open, and they’re safe.

“I will do whatever I can.” This variant is still being researched. A booster is effective, we know this.

“Get boosted. Keep yourself safe. Help your neighbors. Together, let’s make this a pandemic.

Last week, a case of Omicron Covid-19 was first reported to a primary school.

Year five students at Manor Community primary school in Kent aged nine to ten were advised not to leave the house and go for testing.

Omicron can only be contracted by people who have been close to others, and they must remain isolated for 10 consecutive days.

The parents of students received an email alerting them to the problem. On Friday, a mobile test unit arrived at the Keary Road School.

Mr Zahawi said the Government is working hard to ensure children are safe from Covid-19 at school. Pictured: Year eight pupils wear face masks as a precaution against Covid transmission

M. Zahawi stated that the Government was working to make sure children at school are protected from Covid-19. Pictured: Eight-year-old pupils use face masks to prevent Covid transmission

The first case of Omicron variant was detected at a school last week. Pictured: children wearing masks at Outwood Academy in Woodlands, Doncaster in Yorkshire earlier this year

Last week, a first Omicron variant case was discovered at school. Pictured: children wearing masks at Outwood Academy in Woodlands, Doncaster in Yorkshire earlier this year

The UK Health Security Agency has begun testing key-stage two students as a precaution. 

It was just days after another Omicron incident at Northfleet Technology College in nearby Northfleet.

Omicron is a variant of Omicron that has been feared by health experts to be more infectious than others. However, it’s believed the vaccine works well in preventing serious symptoms and hospitalisations. 

The government has tightened Covid rules from Monday 13 December, with those who can being advised to work from home while face masks have been made mandatory in most public indoor places once again.

As part of government Plan B to fight the Omicron virus in winter, coronavirus restrictions are being implemented around the country.

Some schools closed their circuit breakers late last month as Covid cases continued rising across the nation. They cited an increase in Covid outbreaks and lack of staff. 

Darwen Aldridge Enterprise Studio is a secondary school that teaches students aged 13-19 years old. It announced it would close its doors by the end of May, at most due to Covid teachers leaving.

Finlay Community Primary School, Gloucestershire, said that it had been partially closed. This was due to the ‘increase in Covid-19 cases and low staffing’. 

In the face of growing concern about Omicron, a highly transmissible variant that can cause severe illness in humans and other animals, schools had to cancel their Christmas parties.

In the meantime, Zahawi stated that the government does not plan to vaccine primary-school-aged children.

According to him, vaccination experts are still evaluating the evidence regarding how much protection coronavirus vaccines would offer children under 12 years old. A decision will be made once they have reached a consensus.

This comes just days after The Sunday Times reported healthcare workers were instructed to prepare for mass vaccinations of primary schoolchildren in anticipation of regulator approval. Children as young as 5 years old will be jabbed. 

When Mr Zahawi was asked if there were any plans to vaccinate children in primary schools, he said that there wasn’t a plan. The reason is that the Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI), is still reviewing the evidence to determine what protection level it might offer.

The NHS advised that Covid is ‘usually mild’ for most children but could cause some severe reactions in children with previous coronavirus variants.

In September, the UK’s chief medical officers advised that secondary school pupils aged 12-15 could receive one dose of BioNTech/Pfizer Covid-19.

The JCVI also recommended last month that a second dose of the medication be administered to people in the same age group.

Boris Johnson declared Wednesday that he would trigger Plan B to try and buy time from the UK in fighting the Omicron virus variant.

With dismay at the proposal, Tories responded with dismay. Tens of backbenchers pledged to vote down vaccine passports being made compulsory for large venues. Mandatory mask-wearing in public indoor settings is mandatory. Employees will also be given guidance on where to work from home.

Plan B, despite the potential Tory backbench revolt is likely to be law. This was confirmed by Sir Keir who told The Andrew Marr Show that he will vote with Government.

Labour leader David Lammy said his party won’t be backing the Prime Minister, but instead the NHS.

He stated that there was a concern about the science surrounding Omicron and the new variant. It is possible to see a scenario where cases are increasing by more than twice in as little as two days.

“Now, while I can understand some people saying that it hasn’t resulted in higher deaths or hospitalisations yet, the sheer number of cases is extremely worrying.”

He continued, “So, I’m no longer supporting the Prime Minster on Tuesday. I support our NHS. And I support the public regarding this pandemic.” 

Ex-Ministers Esther McVey, Greg Clark (ex-Brexit minister), Dr Liam Fox and Esther McVey have all expressed concerns over the increasing restriction.