A seven-year-old British family tried to save their son after he developed an allergic reaction to pasta while on holiday in Italy. The staff at the restaurant had assured him that the pasta contained no dairy products. Inquest hears

  • Cameron Wahid, seven year old, suffered severe anaphylactic shock after eating spaghetti. 
  • It was made with milk in a Ravello restaurant on the Amalfi Coast of Italy
  • Cameron’s mother, Cameron, 43, is a nurse and was able to give her son an EpiPen.
  • Cameron received CPR from his father (43), before a passing physician intervened to assist.
  • Cameron died three days later from hypoxic brain injury and cardiac arrest

An Italian half-term holiday saw the parents of a British schoolboy die from an allergic reaction to pasta. They fought for their son’s survival, and an inquest was held. 

Cameron Wahid, seven-year-old, was anaphylactic after he ate a pasta dish with milk at a Ravello restaurant on the Amalfi coast. 

His parents, Cassandra & Rizwan Wahid, both aged 43, warned staff that Cameron would not be allowed to eat cheese or dairy products. The family was assured by the staff of the restaurant that the dish did indeed not contain dairy.

After finishing their meal, the entire family boarded the tour bus.

Cameron collapsed there and went into shock infront of his parents and younger brother Aidan. After that, he suffered a cardiac arrest in central square. 

Cameron Wahid (pictured), seven, suffered a severe anaphylactic shock from eating spaghetti made with milk at a restaurant in the town of Ravello on the Amalfi Coast, where he was spending half-term with his family in 2015

Cameron Wahid (pictured), seven-year-old, was anaphylactic after eating spaghetti made with milk in a Ravello restaurant on the Amalfi Coast. He was there to spend half-term with his family in 2015.

Mrs Wahid works as a nurse and was able give her son an EpiPen. But it was too late. 

Before a passing doctor intervened, Mr Wahid performed CPR on his son.

The schoolboy, Grinstead (Sussex), died three days later in a Naples hospital, 35 miles from his home. 

An assistant coroner Lisa Milner declared Cameron’s death at an inquest in Horsham. She said that Cameron died because he had consumed milk or a milk product.

She said: ‘I’m satisfied that Cameron died on October 30 from hypoxic brain injury and cardiac arrest after consuming milk or a milk derivative.

According to the coroner, ‘Prior ordering, the family made the restaurant aware that he had severe food allergies. However, the meal contained milk or derivatives, which caused brain injury, anaphylactic shock and ultimately his death.  

His parents Rizwan Wahid and Cassandra Wahid, both 43 years old, warned staff at Ravello (file picture, pictured), that Cameron could not eat cheese or dairy products

Mel Doyle, the Coroner’s Officer, told the inquest that Rizwan’s parents Cassandra had been informed by staff about the severity of their son’s allergies.

Ms Doyle said that Cameron’s parents had told staff about their dairy allergy, and were assured that nothing in their food would cause him to have an allergic reaction.

“The staff spoke English well and understood what the family was saying to them.

“Cameron ate four mouthfuls homemade pasta with tomato sauce and then said that he didn’t like the taste. He complained of feeling sick within ten minutes.

The family was on a two-week holiday in Sorrento and stopped at Scala on Amalfi Coast to eat.  

After Cameron’s death, Italian authorities charged Cameron’s restaurant manager, chef, and waiter.

The manager died before the case could proceed. The chef was cleared, and the two-year suspended sentence for the waiter was reduced by appeal to 12 months.    

Mr Wahid stated earlier in the year that “to see him go into anaphylactic stress and suffer like that was undoubtedly one of the most devastating experiences of our lives.”

“He was such an adorable little boy and always brightened up my days.”