Star Hobson’s family has criticized the hospital staff who helped her after she suffered two seizures behind bars.

Savannah Brockhill, 28, was sentenced to two years in prison for murdering her 16-month-old daughter last June during abuse at her West Yorkshire residence.   

Brockhill, self-declared ‘psycho’, collapsed two times and experienced cardiac arrest at HMP Styal (Chery) while being held on remand in relation to the murder of the toddler just two days prior.

Prison medics revived her both times and gave her lifesaving CPR.

Now, little Star’s great-grandfather Frank Smith, 68, told the Sun how he wished the medics would have let Brockhill die instead, claiming it was unfair in the wake of the harrowing death of his great-granddaughter.

Savannah Brockhill

Savannah Brockhill (pictured above), 28, self-described ‘psycho’, collapsed twice at HMP Styal in Cheshire and then suffered cardiac arrest. She was remanded on suspicion of the murder of Savannah Brockhill’s toddler just two days prior to the trial. 

Frankie Smith - Star's mother - was Brockhill's girlfriend and was also jailed over her death

Frankie Smith, Star’s mother, was Brockhill’s girlfriend. She was also sentenced for her death.

Innocent Star had been tormented and abused by Smith and Brockhill during her short life

Innocent Star suffered from the abuse and torment of Smith and Brockhill throughout her short lifetime.

Brockhill, who was self-declared a ‘psycho,’ beat Smith frequently and, when she attracted male attention, threatened to kneecap any man who ‘even stared at’ her.

Star was also physically abused by the amateur boxer, who went on to kill Star in one last act of brutal violence. 

Outside Bradford Crown Court Hollie Jones, 18, who babysat for Star and made the first of five referrals to social services, said Smith’s sentence was ‘a joke’. 

Frank (68) was among five close relatives and friends that whistleblowers and raised concerns about Star’s treatment and the bruises she received. Star, 16 months old, had been treated for these injuries. 

After being handed a warning, she was sentenced to a minimum 25-year term in prison. A mandatory life sentence was imposed for Star Hobson’s murder in a fit o’ temper. 

Brockhill, it is believed, was discharged from the hospital by her doctor and returned to HMP Styal (all female) in Cheshire.  

Amateur boxer Brockhill began physically abusing Star Hobson (left) and went on to beat the defenceless toddler to death in one final act of sickening violence

Brockhill was an amateur boxer who began physical abuse of Star Hobson, (left), before beating the defenseless child to death in one final act.

Brockhill was twice saved by prison paramedics at HMP Styal in Cheshire (pictured above)

Brockhill twice was saved by HMP Styal prison paramedics in Cheshire (pictured below).

Brockhill (pictured) regularly beat Smith and - when she continued to attract male attention - threatened to 'kneecap' anyone who 'even looked at her', jurors heard

Brockhill (pictured), beat Smith regularly and, when she kept attracting male attention, threatened to ‘kneecap anyone who even looked at her. Jurors were told


Star Hobson was just 16-months old when Star was murdered at her Keighley home, West Yorkshire. Below are some key moments in her brief existence:


April 21Star Hobson was born

November: Savannah Brockhill and Frankie Smith start a relationship.


January 23, 2009 – Holly Jones, Smith’s friend makes her first contact with the social services to raise concerns over domestic violence and time spent caring for Star. Star receives no attention from police or social workers.

Star moves to Baildon in Bradford with David Fawcett, her great-grandparents. Star has been told by Smith that she is splitting with Brockhill.

April 26, 2006 – Anita Smith takes Star from her house and she moves it to Brockhill.

May 4, Anita Smith calls social services to report Brockhill Star’slam-choking.’

June – David Fawcett posted a photo of Star with bruises and captioned it on Facebook with the caption “From this to that in five weeks,”

June 21st – Star’s father Jordan Hobson calls social services. Star is taken to the hospital by police. Smith claims that her daughter hit her face with a coffee table.

June 23, 2009 – A friend from the Smith family calls social services to voice concerns.

August 14, Anita Smith and David Fawcett see Frankie & Star one last time.

August 28, 2008 – David Fawcett receives a video from Star, who is bruised and faces Brockhill.

September 2nd – Frank Smith, another Star’s great-grandfather, calls social services to report on Star after he sees video footage of the bruises that were visible on his young son’s faces. Unannounced visits are made by social workers.

September 15, 2015 – After concluding that the referral was malicious, social services close the case.

September 22, 2002 – Star becomes seriously ill at Wesley Place, Keighley. He later succumbs to his injuries in the hospital.


December 14, 2014 – A trial at Bradford Crown Court has concluded. Brockhill is convicted in Star’s Murder, while Smith is convicted in Smith’s Involvement.

The defenceless toddler bled to death after being kicked or punched by Brockhill with ‘massive’ force at home in Keighley, West Yorkshire, in September last year.  

Frankie Smith (20 years old) will be released in four year’s time after the judge reduced her sentence because she knew that she had a major role in Star’s death. 

Star’s family attacked the two ‘lenient sentences’ handed to them earlier this week and called for an Attorney General review of the case. 

Mister Smith lashed out at the medics for trying to save Star’s killer. Star’s injuries were so horrific they couldn’t revive her. Brockhill, however, is still alive. It is so unfair!

He  had earlier said he hoped Star’s killers would ‘rot in jail’ and asked: ‘Is that all Star’s life is worth? Frankie should be released in just four years. How is that justice? 

Brockhill was the last to be judged by him, and he told reporters Brockhill deserved the death sentence. 

Jurors at the trial heard from Smith’s relatives and friends that they had grown increasingly concerned over the bruises she witnessed on Smith in the months leading up to her death.

Brockhill, Smith and others were successful in convincing social workers that Star’s marks had been accidental.

Star was killed by injuries to her abdominal cavity, which were described as a result of Star being hit with a punch, kicking, or stamping to the abdomen.

Star also had other injuries that were revealed by jurors. This meant Star had received ‘a variety of serious injuries at various times in her short life’.

Frank alerted social service to Star with bruises and her face on September 2. 

According to some reports, their mother had traveled from Scotland when she visited them. Unannounced, they returned again the following day and discovered her at Brockhill. 

Star became so confused by all the abuse she suffered during an unannounced visit of a social worker at their Keighley house on September 15, last year that she decided to walk into a sofa.

Although she was covered in bruises, Brockhill explained that Brockhill had told her that she’d fallen down the stairs.

In fact she was being ‘choke slammed’, swung by her leg and hit in the face by the twisted couple.

During their cruel reign, they called her a “brat” and made her stand in front of the wall for prolonged periods.

Star was allowed to stay with her father and two other friends.

Police released a harrowing picture of one of the bruises on Star's face that sparked calls to social services from family

Star suffered severe bruises from Star. Police have released graphic of Star’s face. This prompted family to call social services.

The Tuesday verdicts sparked growing calls for reform amid widespread outrage over the murder of Arthur LabinjoHughes, six year old, by his cruel stepmother earlier in this month. 

It later emerged that the Children’s Services boss in charge of Star’s care quit his £121,000-a-year post just days before Smith and Brockhill went on trial.

Mark Douglas was appointed Bradford Council’s third Director for Children’s Services. He resigned after a three-year period of turbulent times.

In 2018, an Ofsted report labelled the department ‘inadequate and stated that some of its children were at risk.

Michael Jameson resigned as director shortly after the release of the report. Gladys Rhodes White succeeded him less than one year later.

Douglas arrived in May 2019 as the former Director of Children’s Social Care, Doncaster Children’s Services Trust. He promised to provide ‘excellent and exceptional services’ for the area and city. 

Jordan Hobson was a University student who split with Smith after she began a toxic relationship Brockhill. A judge heard this week.

Yesterday the father of Star, who was grieving for his daughter, said that he had been left devastated by the tragic death. He also stated that he will not recover from Star’s cruel and callous treatment.

“No sentence a court can impose on me will ever bring back our precious daughter.”

“I’d like to request privacy in order to start my grief and try to find the right way to move forward with my life.”