Russia’s two-year old girl died from alcohol poisoning. This is one of hundreds of similar deaths in Russia this year.
Taxi driver Andrey Metkin, 38, found both his toddler daughter Anna, 2, and partner Olga Charonova, 43, passed out at home in Noginsk, Moscow, when he returned from a night shift.
Police investigated whether fake vodka was involved, but they did not close the investigation and opened a criminal case to determine if there had been parental negligence.
Russian toddler Anna (2 years old) was rushed to Noginsk hospital, Moscow. She later died from alcohol poisoning in the intensive care unit.
Andrey Metkin (left), her taxi driver father, found Anna and Olga Charonova (right) at home after he returned to work from a night shift.
Anna’s mother Olga survived, but she told police six days later that she had no memory of the events that led up to the poisoning.
Russia has already seen 774 deaths due to alcohol poisoning, with 66 occurring in October.
Anna’s father, who was working night shift, came home expecting Anna to ‘run in his arms’ like every other day.
Mr Metkin said: ‘When I came back they were lying on the bed unconscious.
“I immediately called an ambulance and they were taken to the hospital.
“I had never seen her drink before.”
“I don’t know how it happened.”
The toddler was taken to Noginsk hospital, but later died in intensive care.
Anna’s father said that he expected Anna would ‘run into him arms’ as usual and called the police when he could get her to wake up.
The two-year old girl was originally from Moscow, western Russia. Her death is one of many from alcohol poisoning in this country this year.
Anna’s father Andrey said he had never seen his daughter drinking before and said ‘I don’t understand how it happened’
Police kept their investigations open and opened a criminal case to determine whether there was parental negligence.
Her mother survived but told police six days later she had no recollection of the events that led to the poisoning.
The girl’s death is the latest in a series of Russian fatalities due to fake vodka containing methane in the past month.
Their home was found with bottles of Red Berry, a cheap alcoholic beverage with around 14% alcohol content.
Police were conducting tests to determine the source of poisoning and whether it was fake alcohol.
It is the result of five orphaned children who were left behind by their parents after they drank bootleg vodka, a counterfeit alcohol containing toxic methanol in Orsk, Southwest Russia.