According to his granddaughter, a great grandfather died from being left on the cold, wet road for three hours waiting for an ambulance. He had been struck by a car and was unconscious.

George Stevenson (86) was hit by a Citroen C2 at Johnstown, Wrexham in Wales on March 2. Police called an ambulance when Stevenson started experiencing chest pains.

The retired undertaker was hit at 7.30pm but paramedics did not arrive at the scene until 10.38pm, an inquest heard.

His condition was critical by the time they reached him. He died in the Wrexham Maelor Hospital shortly after midnight.

A coroner is currently investigating his death to see if it was possible to avoid the tragedy.

Ellie Williams, Ellie Stevenson’s grand-daughter claimed that internal bleedings from the accident could have been prevented earlier and potentially saved his life.

People suffering with chest pain are usually classified as Category 2 calls on the health service — which are supposed to be picked up within 20 minutes. 

The NHS’s ambulance services face a crisis in Britain right now, as paramedics are unable to respond quickly enough.

The system is experiencing difficulties due to staffing shortages, an unprecedented demand and the lack of beds in hospitals. This can be attributed to social care problems.

George Stevenson, 86, was struck down by a red Citroen in Wrexham, Wales, on March 2 and police called an ambulance after he started feeling chest pains

George Stevenson, age 86, was crushed by a Citroen, in Wrexham (Wales), on March 2. Police called an ambulance for Stevenson after he felt chest pains.

Ambulance figures for April show waits for paramedics fell compared to March but were higher than nearly all other months since records began. Ambulances took an average of 51 minutes and 22 seconds to respond to category two calls, such as burns, epilepsy and strokes. This is nine minutes and 41 seconds quicker than one month earlier

The April ambulance figures show that paramedic wait times fell in March, but they were still higher than any other month since records started. On average, ambulances responded to calls in category 2 (epilepsy, strokes) within 51 minutes and 22 second. It was nine minutes and 41 second faster than one month ago

The number of safety incidents logged by ambulance trusts in England has skyrocketed 77 per cent in the last year compared to before the pandemic, official figures show. The reports — which paramedics log with the NHS when an incident risks long-term harm or death to a patient — jumped from 312 in the year to March 2020 to 551 in the 12 months to March 2022. The figures, which mainly reflect harm due to 'access, admission or transfer' problems, include 201 unintended deaths, more than double the 78 logged two years ago

According to official statistics, the number of safety incidents recorded in England by ambulance trusts increased 77% over the previous year. The reports — which paramedics log with the NHS when an incident risks long-term harm or death to a patient — jumped from 312 in the year to March 2020 to 551 in the 12 months to March 2022. These numbers mainly represent harm caused by ‘access to admission or transfer’ issues. They include 201 unintended death, nearly twice the number of deaths recorded two years ago.

The wife of an ex-paramedic dies while waiting for an ambulance after waiting more than 90 minutes 

After his wife’s death in the arms of a paramedic during a wait of 90 minutes, he campaigned to improve rural ambulance coverage.

Nigel Mitchell, of County Durham, had been married to Gill for more than four decades when she suffered a fatal cardiac arrest in October last year.

A paramedic of 32 years, Mr Mitchell knew his wife was classified as a category one call, the most serious type of medical emergency, where help is needed in minutes.

However, he was told by a 999 dispatcher that he had to wait an hour for North East Ambulance Service’s (NEAS), arrival.

He believes the emergency services operator didn’t consider it so urgent because he could hear her speak in the background. 

Refusing to wait, Mr Mitchell drove his wife to the nearest community defibrillator two miles away.

Mitchell reported that after 45 minutes, a paramedic was dispatched. At the end of it all, four ambulance service trucks and one helicopter arrived. 

While Mrs Mitchell was flown into hospital, her condition was confirmed as dead upon her arrival. 

Ms Williams started a petition to increase funding for the NHS in order to fund ambulances and beds. This was to reduce wait times for ambulances in Wales.

More than 100,000 people have signed the petition and it will be presented to the Welsh Parliament.

She reflected on what happened just before Stevenson died and said, “He was left laid.”[ing]On a cold and wet road.

“He was healthy and had never suffered from any heart problems before. However, he collapsed when the ambulance arrived to transport him.

“We are concerned that my Grandad may have suffered an internal bleeding. This lasted for more than four hours and was critical. It ended in the death of my Grandad.

“The ambulance wait is now a matter for life and death. Something must be done to make it stop happening so often.

Provisional causes of death for Stevenson include severe chest injuries from a traffic accident.

Ms Williams stated that paramedics have been’rebuffed’ by the lack of ambulances or beds for patients to be taken to hospital. 

She said: ‘We are in 2022, there are people dying due to the waiting times of ambulances and the lack of beds. 

“We have to work together on this.”

The Welsh Ambulance Service (Welsh Ambulance Service) and the local health board issued a joint statement following Mr Stevenson’s passing, stating that they are facing “significant challenges”.

According to it, “In Common with NHS Providers across the UK,” we face serious challenges in all areas of our health- and social-care system.

“We are very aware of how these issues affect patients. Especially when we can’t transfer them from ambulances into Emergency Departments or release the ambulance crews as fast as we wish.

“We are aware of the frustration and concern expressed by people regarding delayed emergency response times and lengthy waits at Emergency Departments. We deeply regret for any additional distress caused to our patients’ families.

“It is well below what we aim to offer.”

With no date fixed, the inquest of Mr Stevenson was rescheduled. 

The Citroen driver, 40 years old, was arrested by the North Wales Police on March 4th under suspicion of dangerous diving. 

The investigation continues and the driver was freed.