Inadvertently, a hospital sent her great-grandmother suffering from dementia to a 90 mile care home instead of her house in the next village.

The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in Shropshire discharged Doris Lord, 96, to the facility in Manchester rather than Victoria Lord-Fox’s place in nearby Newport.

The nonagenarian had been admitted to hospital with low sodium – which was swiftly fixed – but ended up spending over a month there after a series of failings.

She smashed her forehead after she fell from the bed that was too high.

This forced her to be isolated on the ward, which made it difficult for her to celebrate Christmas with her family as well as the funeral of Norman, her husband of 71-years.

The hospital kept her there with no visitors and with little communication between staff members and her family.

This vulnerable pensioner, who is currently in Manchester isolation, is forbidden from seeing her loved ones until the end.

Ms. Lord Fox, 39, has complained to the Care Quality Commission about the hospital’s poor service, communication issues, and lack of integrity.

Mark Pritchard, Tory MP for The Wrekin, called for an “urgent review” of the case. He said that it raised’serious concerns’ about the visitation of dementia patients.

This is just the latest instability to hit the Infirmary. It’s the center of an ongoing investigation into the worst maternity scandal in the country.

The Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in Shropshire discharged Doris Lord (pictured, with her late husband Norman), 96, to the facility in Manchester rather than Victoria Lord-Fox's place in nearby Newport

Doris Lord, 96, was discharged from the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital, Shropshire, along with Norman, her husband. She went to Manchester, rather than Victoria Lord Fox’s home in Newport.

Ms Lord-Fox (right, with her grandparents), 39, blasted the hospital for 'poor service, lack of communication and integrity' and has filed a complaint with the Care Quality Commission

Ms. Lord Fox (right) with her grandparents.

The stinging accusations against Royal Shrewsbury Hospital include letting her fall, catching Covid, and not communicating with her

  • Refuse to take the sodium test.
  • Her grandmother’s escape from hospital bed;
  • If they had expedited Mrs Lord’s care, she could have been released earlier. It is also unlikely that Mrs Lord would have contracted Covid. Mrs Lord may have been able to attend her husband’s funeral.
  • She was not supported in any way, including on the day she died. All contact with and support from the family was cut off;
  • Failing to communicate effectively between staff and the family
  • Failing to give accurate information
  • Inability to send her to a nearby care home with her NHS addresses details led to her discharge from Manchester.
  • Refusal to sign off on key decisions like Mrs Lord’s discharge with her family.

Mrs Lord moved from Wythenshawe, Manchester, to her granddaughter’s house in Newport after Norman died on December 4 aged 93.

But after she fell five times and vomited in the early hours of December 12 paramedics rushed her to the Royal Shrewsbury’s A&E.

Ms Lord-Fox, who is head of operational service design and transition service operations at National Highways, said the hospital agreed she could visit her regularly due to her early-onset dementia and problems with hearing.

The granddaughter, who was heartbroken by the decision to refuse entry to Ward 28 said that staff refused her entry and ignored her calls. Staff also failed to return her phone call at crucial moments.

On December 17, she went to the hospital along with Elizabeth, her 2-year-old daughter and her wife. She wanted to cheer up her grandmother and was informed that she would be allowed to leave for Christmas.

The nurse stated that they would need to draw the blood of the woman to determine her sodium level. However, they failed to do so by December 20, 20.

Ms. Lord Fox tried to come again on December 23rd, but she was only allowed to change her clothes with the staff and to take her old ones home.

They told her that she couldn’t visit her grandmother again until they instructed her to. The medics could not confirm if blood tests were done.

The elderly lady was not allowed to go home on Christmas Eve. She called back the hospital the next morning to confirm, but she was informed that it would have to be done at 8 a.m.

But when she called Christmas morning, she was informed that nobody would be permitted to leave the ward.

Ms. Lord-Fox stated that staff answered their phones on December 30, and she was able to admit her grandmother fell out of bed while trying to use the bathroom.

Her complaint was that the bed was too high and she had to be repositioned.

Ms Lord-Fox tried again to visit on December 23 but was simple allowed to swap her clothes with staff and take her dirty ones home to be cleaned. Pictured: Mr and Mrs Lord with their great-granddaughter Elizabeth

Ms Lord Fox attempted to come again on December 23rd, but was simply allowed to exchange her clothes with staff members and to take her dirty clothes home to be cleaned. Picture: Mrs and Mr Lord, with Elizabeth their great-granddaughter

The 96 year-old woman had already contracted coronavirus in hospital. She had to stay isolated until January 4, and she was unable to attend her husband’s funeral.

The Royal Shrewsbury’s latest scandal:

  • December 13th: Mrs Lord falls and vomits, so she is quickly taken to hospital
  • December 20th: Ms Lord Fox said that nobody can grant her power d’assassination
  • December 23rd: Unable to see her grandmother. Exchanged worn clothes for clean ones
  • Christmas Eve: When she is asked if she can pick her up at Christmas, she was informed that it would be a good idea to wait until the morning.
  • Christmas Day: It was told that no one would be leaving the ward on this day
  • December 30, 2010: She told her grandmother that her grandmother fell from her hospital bed.
  • December 30, 2012: Mrs Lord test positive for coronavirus
  • January 4, 2007: The husband of Mrs Lord, a 71-year-old man, was laid to rest while she was still in her isolation unit.
  • January 5, Ms. Lord is still positive for Covid. She would remain there until January 14,
  • January 13th: Although the 96 year-old had improved her eating, drinking, walking and mobility, she was still unable to drink. A saline drip was added to provide fluids.
  • January 14, 2008: A nurse says that she can’t discuss her medical records with Ms Lord-Fox
  • January 15: Mrs Lord was discharged to Wellington Lodge care home in Salford without the family being told. Because she is isolated, they won’t be allowed to visit her until January 25.

Ms. Lord-Fox stated that she was told by staff about her grandmother’s blood transfusion at this point. However, the staff said later that it hadn’t taken place and her blood sugar levels were normal.

The family was informed by Mrs Lord that she had tested positive for the virus on January 5, and would need to be isolated until January 14.

Ms. Lord Fox struggled to receive updates from her hospital regarding when her grandmother would release the child.

On January 15, she called her three times and finally got through at 1.29pm. She was informed that the 96 year-old had been discharged to Wellington Lodge in Salford an hour before.

In furious protest, Ms Lord Fox demanded information about who authorized the trip of 90 miles. However, no one from the family was asked. She claims she was then told to contact her again in January 17.

The move came despite her records showing she lived in Newport and her doctors was Wellington Road Surgery in the town – but the hospital had not updated these.

Emails between Ms Lord Fox and the hospital staff revealed that they had repeatedly misunderstood her requests and refused to reach her by telephone.

Staff responded to her complaint about the care she received. They needed written authorization from the patient in order to examine.

Ms Lord Fox said: “I wonder, if you’ve understood the contents and the complaint is from me and the family and not my grandma.

“I (or my wider family) have not been able (or asked her to sign any papers) with my grandma. I’m sure that there will be another complaint from her when she is able.

However, the complaints team said that because of the nature of the complaint, we will have to access the records of your grandmother to investigate thoroughly and address the concerns.

“As a Department, we can’t access medical records without consent from patients, in accordance with the data protection act.

The consent ensures we have the authority of your grandmother to release the results of the investigation. This includes confidential details about your grandmother’s care and treatment. It also covers the information contained in the records.

‘For us to proceed to the complaint. I am happy to forward the consent form direct to your grandmother with permission.

“If you agree to proceed with the request, could you please confirm which address is best for you to mail the consent form?”

Her grandmother, she said, was not in the hospital anymore. She had dementia.

Ms Lord-Fox has complained to the hospital and the Care Quality Commission about how her grandmother and the family have been treated

Ms. Lord-Fox complained about the treatment of her grandmother and family to both the hospital staff and the Care Quality Commission

Conservative MP Mr Pritchard told MailOnline: 'There needs to be an urgent review of Mrs Lord's treatment at the hospital and her care package arrangements'

MailOnline received a statement from Mr Pritchard, Conservative MP. He said that there should be an immediate review of Mrs Lord’s care at the hospital as well as her care package arrangements.

Ms. Lord Fox has made complaints to both the Hospital and the Care Quality Commission regarding the way her grandmother was treated and how the family were treated.

She said that the family understood the stress on NHS staff, but the lack of service, communication, integrity and other actions taken by Shrewsbury Hospital are unacceptable.

“The family was suffering from the unneeded stress of grieving their loss of grandad. Grandma had lost her husband in December. She was signed off medically on December 24th. The family was not permitted to visit her on Christmas Day. After that, she was kept in hospital to catch Covid, and to miss her husband’s funeral on January 4th.

“A vulnerable, 96-year old woman who was hospitalized with low sodium. A loved one who had not been able to communicate or visit her. Then she moved 87 miles without anyone’s approval.

She said, “I also want an explanation of the inability of the staff to communicate effectively with me and my family about Mrs Lord’s health, her care and plans to discharge her, as well as misinformation regarding the treatment she allegedly received.”

Conservative MP Mr Pritchard told MailOnline: ‘There needs to be an urgent review of Mrs Lord’s treatment at the hospital and her care package arrangements.

“There are many demands on hospital staff, but this case raises serious concerns about care given and arrangements made for visiting elderly relatives who have dementia.

He stated, “I will immediately raise this issue with my hospital trust.”

Shrewsbury Hospital NHS Trust and Telford Hospital NHS Trust were approached by the Care Quality Commission for their comments.

This is just the latest scandal at Royal Shrewsbury Hospital. It is also the center of an investigation by police into Britain’s most serious maternity scandal.

West Mercia Police is looking into maternity services in the Shrewsbury Hospitals and Telford Hospitals. It’s believed that many newborns have lost their lives.

In December 2020, an interim inquiry into the NHS found that failures had been ignored for many decades. Staff were also obsessed with blame-blaming mothers in some cases.