Stuart Campbell was the killer who murdered his niece, 15 years old in 2001. He could be freed in a matter of months. However, his brother has been urging him to disclose what happened with his body.

Stuart Campbell was found guilty of the abduction and murders of Danielle Jones. Jones was last seen walking towards a bus stop near her East Tilbury home on June 18, 2001.

Although her body wasn’t found, police discovered a pair white stockings that had Danielle’s DNA and a lipstick she used. He was later arrested. Campbell lured her to his van in order to kidnap her.

Campbell received a life sentence for murder in December 2002 and ten for abduction. Both sentences could run concurrently. 

High Court ruling that the 64-year-old murderer should not be eligible for parole until he had served at least 20 years. Now is the right time to release him.

His brother Alix Sharkey made an explicit plea to Campbell at his parole board assessment hearing as he approaches the expiration of his minimum sentence. 

Stuart Campbell was jailed for life in 2002 for the murder of schoolgirl Danielle Jones, but will be eligible for parole this year

Stuart Campbell, who was convicted of the 2002 murder of Danielle Jones as a schoolgirl, was sentenced to life imprisonment. However, he will be released this year.

This is the first case to be brought before the Parole Board since Helen’s Law was passed and royal assent. It legally obliges the Parole Board, to determine if a prisoner has confessed guilt or expressed remorse. 

Campbell and other killers will be unable to be released if they continue to refuse to disclose their crimes, including the location of which victim they killed.

Helen’s Law was named for Helen McCourt. She was a 22 year-old insurance clerk murdered in 1988. Ian Simms is her murderer, but he hasn’t revealed the exact location.

Also 64, Campbell’s brother Mr Sharkey told the Mirror: ‘I do not believe my brother should be released until he discloses what he did with Danielle Jones’ body.

“Her parents went through an absolute hell. Their parents have not had closure. My brother hasn’t even given them their daughter so they have a place to grieve.

Campbell, pictured, has never admitted to his crime or revealed where he hid Danielle's body

Campbell is pictured in the background. He has never confessed to his crime, or given any details about where Danielle’s corpse was hiding.

And in a direct plea to his murderous brother, he said: ‘Stop being a monster, why don’t you act like a human being? Even murderers can say “I’m sorry”.’ 

Campbell was convicted of forcibly keeping his 14-year old daughter in the home. He received a suspended 12-month sentence in 1989. Campbell was also sentenced to four years in prison for the robbery of another teenage girl.

Campbell feigned text messages from Danielle Jones to pretend she was still living during his murder trial.

Campbell requested a review by the Parole Board. They confirmed that they had been following standard procedures and that public safety was their number one priority. 

Danielle left her home in East Tilbury, Essex in June 2001 to catch a bus to St Clere's School in Stanford-le-Hope, Essex - and her parents never saw her again

Danielle left her home in East Tilbury, Essex in June 2001 to catch a bus to St Clere's School in Stanford-le-Hope, Essex - and her parents never saw her again

Danielle left East Tilbury in Essex to take a bus to St Clere’s School, Stanford-le-Hope in Essex. She never saw her family again.

His brother Alix Sharkey, 64, who is currently living in Barbados and has written a book which recounts his horror at finding out about his brother’s crime, spoke of his ‘profound scorn’ for Campbell in an interview with The Sunday Times Magazine last year.

He stated that he was furious with Danielle for not telling her parents about Danielle’s body. Campbell should be encouraged by his book.

He told the publication that he hopes it would shift his mind and make him realize that no one, not even yourself, can pretend that everything is done, or that you are ready to start over. 

You can’t. It won’t happen. These people must know what happened to the body of that girl.

Sharkey said, “I was so angry at him, because I saw what he was trying do,”. ‘I realised with Ian Simms that with the way the law stands you can leave prison without confessing your crime, without expressing remorse for what you did — you can still get out of prison. That was when I became furious. Then I became furious at myself for not being more involved in the entire thing and angry with him. 

Sharkey discusses in his book the brutality he and his brother suffered at the hands their father as children. However, he says he sympathises with Campbell but that it is outweighed by his ‘profound scorn.

At the hearing for Campbell's parole board assessment as he nears the end of his minimum sentence, his brother Alix Sharkey (pictured) has made a direct plea to the ex-builder to 'stop being a monster'

As Campbell nears his sentence’s end, Campbell’s brother Alix Sharkey (pictured), made an explicit plea to him to stop being a’monster’ at the parole board hearing.

Campbell had never replied to Campbell’s correspondences, which he added that he feels embarrassed for his brother.

A response is a way to engage in conversation. Conversely, a conversation can be used as a means of confronting the perpetrator with their crime. I guess he can’t handle that,’ Sharkey said.    

Danielle’s family appealed for Campbell’s help to find the place he had hidden her body on the 20th anniversary last month.

Linda, Campbell’s mother, said that she would do the right thing to allow her to put her darling daughter to sleep.

Danielle left East Tilbury, Essex her home to get a bus ride to St Clere’s School Stanford-le-Hope. She never saw her family again.  

Campbell, a father-of-two and body-builder, denied any involvement in his niece’s disappearance, but the prosecution produced evidence that he had developed an ‘irresistible sexual attraction’ for her.

His van picked him up every other day from school, he sent her “an inordinate number of texts” and kept a log detailing all his contacts with her.

Missing schoolgirl for over 20 years: Danielle Jones’ disappearance

Danielle Jones (15 years old) disappeared after she left her home in order to take a bus to school.

After a trial at Chelmsford Crown court, Stuart Campbell of Grays (Essex), was convicted in December 2002 and sentenced to life imprisonment for his kidnap as well as murder.

He never confessed to Danielle’s murder or her whereabouts.

Campbell said he had been at another location when Danielle vanished, but experts analyzed his phone to prove that this was false.

Investigators discovered that Danielle and his phone had been found near Danielle’s house for approximately 30 hours before she disappeared.

A bag found in Campbell’s loft contained underwear, which included a pair stained with bloody cling-top stockings for women. These stockings contained traces of Campbell and Danielle DNA.

Campbell appealed against the 2005 decision, claiming that he was not given a fair trial.

Police searching a Tilbury building site during the original search for Danielle in 2001

Police search a Tilbury construction site in the original 2001 search for Danielle

His lawyers claimed that Mr Justice McKinnon should have excluded prejudicial evidence that Campbell was obsessed with young girls. He took photographs of these girls, as well as downloaded information about teenager girls from the Internet.

The group also asked Lord Justice Kennedy and Mr Justice Simon to declare that one juror should be dismissed because he was next to the police officers involved in this case. Another senior investigator lived in the same village.

However, his appeal was rejected. He will wbe eligible for parole at the end of this year.