Law enforcement sources reveal that the creators of Superman comic which featured The Man of Steel coming out to be bisexual received death threats from angry fans and were granted police protection.
According to TMZ officers from Los Angeles Police Department were dispatched to the private homes of the illustrators and production staffers tasked to produce the contentious comic, titled Superman, Son of Kal-El to protect them from threats by fans upset over the new Superman iteration’s sexual orientation.
The outlet reported Tuesday morning that officers were also sent to the studio in Los Angeles to protect staffers against potential attacks.
The latest iteration of Superman, who has already appeared in the ongoing comic book series Superman: Son of Kal-El, is slated to come out as bisexual and begin dating his male best friend in the fifth issue of the serial slated for release on November 16
This revelation comes just weeks after DC Comics confirmed that their poster-boy character would be bisexual in an issue due to be released on November 16th, sparking backlash.
Tom Taylor, the comic’s creator, has defended his decision to write the character as a member the LGBTQ community. He argued that the beloved hero’s homosexuality is just a small detail and that it will allow LGBTQ people to’see themselves in the most powerful superheroes in comics’.
However, not everyone is able to share the same welcoming spirit.
Raymond Arroyo, a Fox News contributor, asked earlier this month why DC Comics allowed staffers to sexualize super-heroes on Laura Ingraham’s late-night show The Ingraham Angle.
Los Angeles Police Department officers were sent to the private homes of the illustrators and production staffers involved in the comic’s production. They also went to their LA offices to protect team members from threats (file image).
“Why are they sexualizing superheroes?” Ingraham was asked by the conservative journalist.
“Call me when they have gender-stable aisles with superheroes whose sexualities are unknown to us.
“I was a Batman, Superman and Spider-Man Kid. I loved those heroes. We wanted them to get the bad guys and not a venereal illness. Please don’t bother with our comic book heroes.
Former Superman actor Dean Cain, 55 who portrayed the superhero for four seasons on the 1993 TV series Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, also spoke out on the controversy, suggesting to Fox News that the staffers producing the comic were ‘bandwagoning.’
‘They said it’s a bold new direction. I say they’re bandwagoning,’ the former Man of Steel said in a televised interview earlier this month.
‘I don’t think it’s bold or brave or some crazy new direction,’ the actor continued.
“If they had done that 20 years ago, perhaps that would have been brave or bold. But it would be brave to have him fight for gay rights in Iran, where they’ll throw your off the building for the offense that you’re gay.
Cain stated that he would like to see Superman fight the’real evils in the world today’, like corruption and government overreach.
Superman’s successor, Lois Lane, will begin dating his male best friend in the fifth issue.
Tom Taylor, the comic’s creator, has defended his decision to write the character as a member the LGBTQ community. He argued that the beloved hero’s homosexuality is just a small detail and will allow LGBTQ people to’see themselves in the most powerful superheroes in comics’
One social media user seemed able to predict the dangers Taylor’s team is facing currently
Many readers took to social media to voice dismay and concerns about the announcement by the comic book publisher, which was made on October 11, National Coming Out Day.
One user responded to Taylor’s tweet by writing on Twitter, “Congratulations!” “You just destroyed one the oldest comic heros.”
‘This won’t translate to sale,’ another user wrote, labeling the change as ‘fake.’ Cross fan suggested that the comic’s creators ‘only do it for headlines.
Another griped: ‘Way to ruin a character, let’s just do whatever it takes to please the 0.01% of the population.’
One commentator, who supported the studio’s decision to change the iconic character’s sexuality seemed to eerily predict the team’s current situation regarding the ongoing, alleged threats that they face to their safety.
‘I applaud this in EVERY way,’ the user wrote in response to Taylor’s tweet on October 11, but eerily added: ‘I just hope you’re prepared for the backlash from parents and conservatives all over the map.’
One fan complained on Twitter that Taylor had tweeted about DC’s announcement and wrote: “Congratulations! You just wrecked one the oldest comic heroes!”
‘This won’t translate to sale,’ another user wrote, labeling the change as ‘fake.’ Cross fan suggested that the comic’s creators ‘only do it for headlines’
Another griped: ‘Way to ruin a character, let’s just do whatever it takes to please the 0.01% of the population’
Now, with two week left before the November 16 release of the comic’s fateful fifth issue in which Clark Kent’s successor announces himself as bisexual and kisses another man, the real-world consequences alluded to by the Twitter user have come to life, with Los Angeles police stepping in to ensure that the situation does not escalate.
According to TMZ, sources close to or within the Los Angeles Police Department revealed to the outlet that the team producing Superman: Son of Kal-El received an array of angry calls from fans vexed over the hero’s newly announced sexuality – with some of them containing threats of actual violence to staffers.
Concerned about their safety, staff from Los Angeles’ studios were then able to call the police department and report the threats. They responded by sending patrol vehicles to inspect the studios as well as several employees’ private residences.
Sources close to the Los Angeles Police Department told the outlet that Superman: Son of Kal El received a slew of angry calls from fans outraged at the hero’s new sexuality. Some of these calls contained threats of violence to staffers.
According to the outlet, so far no threats have been reported. However, the source revealed that the police still patrolled the aforementioned areas in an abundance of caution, even though the situation has settled down in recent weeks.
DailyMail.com has not received a response from the Los Angeles Police Department regarding details of the case.