Maryland homeowner tried to exterminate a snake invasion by lighting the fire. It set off huge flames and burned down his $1.8M home.

  • Maryland resident tried to exterminate a snake problem in his home by lighting the poisonous serpents. But, he accidentally set off an enormous fire. 
  • At 10:10, the Dickerson Fire Department needed 75 firefighters to put out the flames.  
  • Authorities arrived to find that the roof and structure of the multistory house had collapsed, with heavy flames. 
  • To make matters worse, MCFRS spokesman Pete Piringer said there was no fire hydrants near the home, which has a nearly mile-long driveway
  • In the incident, it was determined that there was no danger to anyone.
  • The status of the snake infestation remains ‘undetermined,’ said  Piringer

Maryland resident, a boneheaded Marylander who attempted to exterminate a $1.8 million snake infestation in his home by lighting the reptiles out set fire to the property and left a burned shell.

Unidentified homeowners used coals for heat to try to get rid of the snakes. But they placed them too close together to combustibles. The result was a huge fire, according to county fire investigators. 

The blaze began around 10 pm in the basement of the 6,228-square-foot multi-story manor, located at 21050 Big Woods Road in Dickerson, before spreading throughout the rest of the house, WJLA reported. 

As flames illuminated the night sky, 75 firefighters were already on the scene. 

Firefighters were also hampered by the lack of fire hydrants on the property, which has a nearly mile-long driveway and is located about 60 miles east of Baltimore. 


Flames shoot out of a $1.8 million home in Dickerson, Maryland after homeowner tried to rid the house of a snake infestation by smoking out the serpents

After a homeowner attempted to exterminate a snake infestation in his Dickerson home, Maryland ($1.8 million), flames erupted.

The blaze began in the basement of the massive home, located on the 21000 block of Big Woods Road, before spreading throughout the rest of the house

It started in the basement, at the 21000 block Big Woods Road. The flames then spread throughout the entire house.

Pictured: The manor in Dickerson, Maryland before it was destroyed in an accidental fire when the homeowner used coal to try to smoke out a snake infestation

Photograph: Dickerson Manor before being destroyed by an accidental fire. 

Piringer told Fox 5 that the homeowner was unaware the house was ablaze after he set up the burning coals in the basement, the source of the home’s the snake infestation.

He stated that the process used was unclear. There were many of them. They believed there were a lot of platforms. Metal buckets and containers of all kinds were used in creating smoke. 

“And they believed some of those, again, were combustibles in this instance, which may have been either a wall, or another combustible, too close the heat source.

Officials were not able to identify the snakes that entered the residence, but wildlife experts said it wasn’t unusual for reptiles seeking refuge in cold weather. 

Beth Schlimm, a conservation specialist, stated that animals will seek warmth and protection in winter.

“So, typically this might be finding a crack in a fallen tree branch or in a heap of rocks. But occasionally they find a crack in someone’s foundation to their house.’ 

Pictured: the home after the fire tore through it on November 23

The home as it was after the November 23rd fire.

By the time authorities arrived, the roof and structure had collapsed

When authorities arrived on the scene, both the structure and roof were already falling apart.

A view of the front of the Dickerson manor, showing the entire structure burned to the ground behind the remaining front facade

The front view shows the Dickerson manor. It is visible from the left, where the whole structure was destroyed behind its remaining facade.

Schlimm said that the most effective way to prevent infestations of any kind is by sealing any cracks in the home’s foundation, while Maryland DNR officials and pest control experts added that they don’t recommend using this smoke method to get rid of snakes. 

The fire was accidental and no one was hurt.

Public records indicate that the house was purchased for $1.8 million by its current owners. According to WJLA however, damage from the fire caused to the home is more than $1 million.  

Only one snakes’ skin could be located among the ashes. However, another was discovered alive later.

Piringer stated, “He emerged from the foundation.”

The snake was eventually captured by firefighters and released into the nearby forests.

Other snakes were either hiding in the trash or running away.