Mother issues warning to parents after her one-year-old son fell unconscious and was taken to A&E after he ate washing machine pod

  • Megan Woods (18) was scared when Tommy, her 18-year-old son lost consciousness
  • One-year old had taken a Fairy pod that was non-bio from a cabinet.
  • One mother rushed her child to hospital for tests. 
  • Baby Tommy threw up the poisonous pod while in the car on the way to A&E 

A mother has warned parents to keep cleaning supplies out of the reach of children after her one-year-old son fell unconscious and had to be rushed to hospital when he swallowed a washing machine pod.

Megan Woods was 18 years old when Tommy became unconscious after eating a Fairy non-bio pod.

Tommy’s first-time mother Ms Woods was making lunch when Tommy crawled up to grab a pod out of a cabinet on December 8. 

The mother-of-one, from North Walsham in Norfolk, called 111 and rushed her baby to A&E, with Tommy throwing up ‘several times’ on the way to the hospital.   

Poisonous pods may cause severe throat irritations, breathing difficulties and possibly even death.

Tommy vomited most of the toxic substances from his body and Ms. Woods was able to take him home after a series of tests.  

Megan Woods, 18, was left terrified when her son Tommy (pictured together) lost consciousness after eating a non-bio Fairy pod

Megan Woods was 18 years old when Tommy, her 12-year-old son, lost consciousness following a meal from a nonbio Fairy pod.

The mother-of-one, from North Walsham in Norfolk, called 111 and rushed her baby to A&E, with Tommy throwing up 'several times' on the way to the hospital. Pictured, the packet

The mother-of-one, from North Walsham in Norfolk, called 111 and rushed her baby to A&E, with Tommy throwing up ‘several times’ on the way to the hospital. This is the contents of the packet.

She stated that Tommy was having a good day until he suddenly turned his back and found a pod in the hand.

First-time-mother Ms Woods was making lunch for Tommy when he grabbed a pod

Tommy’s first-time mother Ms Woods was having lunch when Tommy grabbed a pod.

Woods claimed that Ms Woods was shocked when her child put the pod in her mouth.  

“He started crying, and I tried to wash his mouth with water. It was hard to know where I was going with this.

After calling NHS 111 she and partner Harry Palmer, 21, raced their son to A&E at Norfolk and Norwich University Hospital.

She stated that she tried to wake her husband up, but it was impossible.

He threw up many times during his conscious moments, and Ms. Woods was afraid for her life. 

“He was in a car driving to the hospital and was feeling sick. He kept going back and forth between consciousness and reality.” He was still unconscious when I tried to get him awake but I could not. 

The poisonous pods can cause throat burns and breathing problems that lead to coma and even death. Pictured, Ms Woods with Tommy

These poisonous pods may cause severe breathing difficulties and throat irritations that can lead to death. Pictured with Tommy: Ms Woods and Tommy

Tommy (pictured) put a laundry pod in his mouth

Tommy (pictured)

Woods said that her baby, pictured (above), put the pod in Ms Woods’ mouth and she was in shock. She then snatched it from him.

Ms. Woods stated that she felt guilty after the hospital, but other mothers said that they’d experienced something similar.

“I was sure he wouldn’t be able to get into that closet, but somehow he managed.” It doesn’t really matter what you do when something happens. I didn’t know what to expect.

“Please double-check every lock, seal and cupboard. A child can grab the item in two seconds and then put it into their mouth.      

Tommy had returned to normal after just a few days. 

Fairy’s creator, Procter and Gamble spoke out saying that they were sorry about the incident and hoped for quick recovery. Safety of our customers is what we value most.

“Laundry liquid capsules” are safe and effective in every home.

“We recommend that everyone keep cleaning products out of reach children’s reach and to always use our closures.

“We’ve taken important steps to reduce accidents. We’re working with ROSPA, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, to develop industry-wide safety programs.

They include “introducing child-impeding packaging systems and a safety reminder in every Fairy TV ad, along with implementing an education program of multimillions’ worth to educate parents about safe storage.