Tributes have been paid to a troubled young Derby woman who died after taking illegal slimming pills.
Annie Gresham’s family has expressed their grief at the loss of her 25-year old mother. They both thanked the NHS and the emergency service professionals for their help and took aim at the UK’s provision of mental healthcare services.
The lifesaving efforts of the Medics to save Ms Gresham’s from a toxic substance that was illegally used as a weight loss product, were unsuccessful. However, it has not been licensed for human use.
A passing ambulance crew found Ms Gresham on a bridge that overlooks the A38 in the early hours of November 19, 2017. She then died on November 20, 2017.
Annie Gresham (pictured), 25, died from an overdose of illegal, industrial-strength slimming tablets
At Derby Coroner’s Court, it was revealed that the 25 year-old from Mickleover in Derby had a history mental illness. He had also been previously diagnosed with anorexia (EUPD) and emotional unstable personality disorder.
At the inquest, which took place on Thursday January 20, members of Ms Gresham’s family attended. It was revealed that she was admitted at specialist eating disorder clinics.
Kim, Graham Cooper, Antony Cooper, and Ali Whitlam were all members of Ms Gresham’s immediate family. They said that Annie Gresham (nee Cooper), was an adored sister, niece, auntie, friend, and daughter. Her intelligence, compassion, beauty, and amazing sense of humor made her a remarkable person. She is missed by us every day.
Beth Shipsey from Worcestershire told paramedics that she had taken several pills containing the industrial fat-burning chemical DNP in her home during February
“We want to thank the Royal Derby Accident and Emergency staff, the ambulance service and the police.
All three organizations were in constant contact with us, and we have always been impressed by their professionalism and care. We can’t thank them enough.
“Annie was blessed with compassionate and loving care by many people in the mental sector throughout her life.
“What we wish to see is that the people who were involved with Annie would examine their actions and make a decision about whether they would have made different decisions in hindsight.
“Then, to keep this in mind for the next patient or their families.
“In addition, we hope that professionals in positions of power will challenge this country’s mental health care.
“In our view, the system failed Annie. It will continue to fail other people unless drastic changes are made.”
In his narrative conclusion at the inquest, Peter Nieto, area coroner for Derby and Derbyshire, said that her care was not ‘categorically insufficient’ and that Ms Gresham, who worked in a café, offered ‘no indication’ that she had planned to take her own life.
He stated, “It was obvious that she had conscious taken the tablets on November 19, 2013. This can’t be an accident.
DNP’s victims: Starting at 21 years old, a bulimic student and ending up as a 23-year old doctor-aspiring patient
Numerous people who are bodybuilders or have tried to lose weight have been killed.
DNP was eventually banned from the US in response to heart attack-related deaths.
However, all of that has changed over the past decade. The drug has been linked to 33 deaths since 2002.
In 2018, 31-year-old businessman Bernard Rebelo, from east London, was the first person to be convicted of manslaughter in relation to the sale of DNP pills.
After selling the weight-loss capsules to his clients, Mr Rebelo was made a millionaire. However, he was imprisoned seven years for selling the pills to Eloise Parry (bulimic student). Eloise later died.
Sean Cleathero was a bodybuilder who died October 2012 at High Wycombe (Buckinghamshire) after he took DNP.
In another high-profile case, 23-year-old Sarah Houston tragically died after the medical student consumed a fatal dose of DNP while studying at Leeds University in 2013.
In 2007, 26-year-old Selena Walrond, died after having taken DNP in a bid to lose weight. The deadly drugs were also purchased online by her.
“But she should have known there was a good chance that she would have seen her.” [on the bridge over the A38]Therefore, she was likely to have been brought to hospital and received some treatment.
“Had she gone to private somewhere, I believe the case would have been different.”
“It seems unlikely she would accidentally take that many tablets. After taking them, she went on to a low bridge. She would not have expected that she would be found.
Court heard from Ms Gresham that she was wearing her pyjamas when ambulance crews stopped. She tried multiple times to flee to the bridge when they tried to put her in the car.
Crew took her to Royal Derby Hospital, where she disclosed that she was self-harmed at 12 years old and had recently recovered from anorexia. She had most recently been admitted to the Leicestershire.
Adult Eating Disorder Service, Glenfield Hospital, Leicester. May 22-October 16, 2017. Staff later learned that she was suffering from an overdose. This drug causes weight loss through burning fats and carbs.
She was taken to the hospital and monitored by doctors. However, her condition worsened overnight.
Assistant coroner in Derbyshire and Derbyshire Mr Nieto read evidence that Ms Gresham was suffering from mental illness. He also stated that she had attempted self-harm. However, he said Ms. Gresham’s self-harm was an impulsive act and she would probably have taken the tablet without fully understanding its consequences.
Following Ms Gresham’s death, an alleged ‘farewell message’ was recovered. Mr Nieto explained that it wasn’t visible, and was actually written in a closed journal or diary.
“In terms of content, even though it can be read as a goodbye note, it doesn’t contain any reference to suicidal intention.”
There have been reports of illegal slimming products containing dinitrophenol being sold to bodybuilders and people trying to lose weight.
It is an industrial chemical and it is a crime to sell it for human consumption.
After taking it, there isn’t an antidote.
After her death, a receipt was discovered for the pills. After her death, Ms Gresham of Fenton Road in Mickleover was diagnosed with dinitrophenol fatal toxic toxicity and anorexia.
Nieto ended the hearing with a statement to Annie’s family.
You can die from slimming down by taking powerful drugs
Multiple deaths have been caused by dinitrophenol from the diet pill (DNP).
DNP can be sold as a weight-loss aid but doctors have described it as “extremely hazardous to human health”.
This product is available online in a variety of names. It contains 2, 4-dinitrophenol.
Because it increases metabolism, bodybuilders are the best customers.
It is odourless, yellow, and previously was used as an herbicide and to fungicide. In the USA, the drug was initially introduced in 1930s as a slimming agent. It was then banned in 1938 because of its serious side effects.
Acute poisoning can lead to nausea, vomiting and restlessness depending on how much was consumed.
In the UK it is responsible for a substantial number of deaths as well as serious injuries to people’s health.
DNP is gaining popularity in the bodybuilding and fitness communities despite its potential dangers.
Customers with eating disorders and body image issues have also purchased it.
Royal Pharmaceutical Society issued warnings about this dangerous drug.
Source: NHS Networks