After van hit a London bus station, a driver (40) is taken into custody on suspicion of dangerous driving. A schoolboy aged 14 died.

  • At 3.33 pm yesterday, an emergency response team was called to the scene in south London
  • A teenager died at 4.35pm after medics failed to revive him 
  • On suspicion of dangerous driving, the driver of this van was taken into custody  

One 14-year-old boy was killed and two other boys were taken to hospital following a smashing of a van into a London bus station just days before Christmas.  

Yesterday’s crash occurred in South East London. Emergency personnel were summoned at 3.33 PM.

The teenager, despite desperate attempts by doctors to save him, was declared dead at 4.35pm.  

The scene also saw a 40-year-old woman and an 8-year-old boy. Both were taken to a hospital in South London with non-life-threatening injuries.   

Emergency crews were called at 3.33pm yesterday to the scene of the crash in south east London

Yesterday afternoon, emergency crews arrived at the scene in South East London to assist with the aftermath of the south east London crash.

The van driver stopped on the spot at Eltham Road/Kidbrooke Park Road just near Sutcliffe Park in Eltham.

The suspect was charged with causing the death of dangerous driving. He was then taken to South London Police Station. Under investigation, he has since been released.

Roads and Transport Policing Command detectives are conducting an investigation. 

Met Police spokesperson stated that police were summoned at 15:33 on Tuesday 21 December at Eltham Road junction with Kidbrooke Park Road SE12 after reports of van colliding with bus stop.

The ‘Officers’, London Ambulance Service and London’s Air Ambulance were present.

Despite desperate efforts by medics the teenager was pronounced dead an hour after the crash at 4.35pm. Stock picture

At 4.35pm, the teenager died despite the best efforts of medics. Photo by Stock 

“Three pedestrians sustained injuries and were taken to South London Hospital for treatment.

A 14-year old boy died despite the best efforts of his medical team [Victim 1]At 16:35 hours, he was declared dead. The family of the deceased has been informed, and specialist officers are helping them.

“A woman aged 40 years old” [Victim 2]An eight-year old boy [Victim 3]They should remain hospitalized as their injuries do not appear to be serious.

“The van’s driver, aged 40 years old, stopped on the spot. On suspicion of causing the death by dangerous driving, he was detained and brought to a South London station.

“He was released during an investigation.

“Detectives from Roads and Transport Policing Command will be investigated.”

The investigation was led by Detective Inspector Lucie Cards. She stated that this is a sad incident that has caused the death of a fourteen-year-old boy.

“Our investigation into what occurred is underway, however we are still looking for witnesses to the event to speak with us.

“Also, I’d ask motorists around the accident scene to check any dashcam footage of this incident.

“It is crucial that you give answers to the child’s family about why he died just a few days prior to Christmas.