Februar: Arthur’s biological mother, Olivia Labinjo-Halcrow, 29, kills her partner Gary Cunningham by  stabbing him 12 times with a kitchen knife. 

Arthur, then 29, is taken into the custody of Thomas Hughes. He meets Emma Tustin (32), later online. 

Hughes and Arthur were moved to an annexe in the rear of Arthur’s parents garden. 

Arthur, according to his grandmother, was initially ‘nervous’ but soon became a happy and well-rounded’ child. 

August: Hughes and Tustin met on Plenty of Fish, a dating site. Their first date was in a pub.   

Tustin did not reveal her 2013 suicide attempt. 

She didn’t even reveal where her children lived with their fathers. 

Hughes presented Tustin after three dates to Arthur.

September: Blake Hughes said Hughes’ brother Hughes had seen his nephew change in behavior. 

His brother became anxious about getting reprimanded, while his brother “became much stricter.”

Hughes also recalls an incident in which he had a heated argument with Tustin after he purchased Arthur Subway sandwiches, which she called ‘an unnecessary treat’.

October: Aileen Cartabine, special educational coordinator at Arthur’s School, stated that Arthur had “deteriorated” in the last month. 

She stated that he was now more reserved and anxious than before, as well as less smiley. 

November: Thomas met Joanne, his mother to discuss growing concern about Thomas’s behaviour. 

Teachers claimed that Arthur had nightmares, and that his father was ‘killing’ him.

Hughes fell pregnant with Tustin, and she had a miscarriage.

December: Arthur became upset during a Christmas nativity when the baby was taken out of its crib. 

Hughes proposed to Tustin within the annexe. 


JanuaryArthur’s school begins to raise concern about Arthur, such as his clinginess and obsessive use of soft toys. 

February: Tustin took Arthur to Tustin’s for her haircut. Arthur had to stand at the table, his hands resting on his knees, and was forced not to move. 

MarchHughes and Arthur are moved into Tustin’s Solihull home by Arthur. 

April 16:  Arthur’s paternal grandmother, Joanne Hughes, made a call to Solihull council’s emergency team to report bruises on his shoulders.

April 17, 2007 Social worker Jayne Kavanagh and support worker Angela Scarlett-Coppage visit Tustin’s home but report ‘no concerns’. 

April 20Joanne Hughes, a desperate teenager, tells Arthur’s high school about her referral to social service four days prior. Michelle Hull is the safeguarding leader at Dickens Heath Primary School. She contacts social services, but they say that there are no concerns. 

April (specific date unknown): Thomas Hughes mocks Arthur’s school via online messages and insists he’s ‘doing great’. 

April (Specific date unknown): Arthur’s uncle Daniel Hughes tries alerting police about Arthur’s bruises. 

May/June (specific date unclear): When John Dutton, Tustin’s stepfather, says he made an anonymous call to social services.

June 8: Hughes refused to send Arthur back, even though Arthur’s school had reopened. His son complained of a poor night’s rest and he would have him return the next day. 

Arthur wouldn’t return to school.  

June 12-15: Arthur spent more than 35 hours in isolation in the hallway.

Arthur had to stay in the hall on Friday for fourteen hours and 19 minutes while Tustin, her son, ate McDonald’s in their living room.

On Saturday Arthur was made to stand in the hall for 11 hours and 49 minutes. 

Hughes can be seen riding him down the hall while Tustin grabs his neck and marches him through the kitchen.

They spent their time enjoying ice cream and the hot tub in their backyard.

Arthur spent Sunday in the hall for 10 hours 54 minutes. He was made to wear a fleece onesie.

June 15: Tustin is seen waking Arthur up at 7.06am by ripping his bedding from underneath him.  

The horrifying final video features Arthur, emaciated and struggling to grab a duvet off the floor of his living room where he was forced to sleep.  

June 16: Arthur suffered an ‘unsurvivable injury’ caused by Tustin repeatedly banging his head on a hard surface. 

June 17: Arthur died at the hospital after his life support system was turned off.  

July 2, 2021:  Labinjo-Halcrow is jailed for 11 years for killing Mr Cunningham.