After crashing into an underwater mountain in South China Sea, the US Navy Seawolf-class attack submarine USS Connecticut in October, visible damage has been done to its bow.

  • After it hit an unknown seamount, the fast-attack submarine suffered damage while being submerged in international waters of the Indo-Pacific.
  •  On the day the USS Connecticut struck the underwater mountain there were soaring tensions with China after 39 warplanes breached Taiwanese airspace
  •  But the 7th Fleet, which operates in the western Pacific, determined after an investigation that there had been no foul play in the incident
  •  The vessel traveled across the Pacific Ocean to Southern California on its surface because it was not safe for it to be submerged following the crash
  • After the collision, three people were fired ‘due lack of confidence.
  • The Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Washington will repair it

After a collision in the South China Sea earlier in this year, an American fast-attack nuclear-powered submarine arrived at San Diego Sunday.

After it hit an unknown seamount on October 2, while being submerged in international waters, the USS Connecticut arrived at California’s coast with a damaged bow.

It was not reported that there were any life-threatening injuries. The US Pacific fleet stated at the time, “The submarine is in stable condition.”

WarshipCam shared a picture on Twitter showing the submarine returning home to US soil.

US Navel Institute News (USNI News) reported that the vessel crossed the Pacific Ocean at its surface after it became unsafe to sink following the collision.  

The USS Connecticut landed at the California coast with a blemished bow after it struck an unmapped seamount October 2 while submerged in international waters in the Indo-Pacific region. It is pictured in a file photo

After it hit an unknown seamount on October 2, while submerged within international waters, the USS Connecticut crashed into the California coast. The bow of the USS Connecticut was badly damaged and landed with the California Coast Guard. The file photo shows it.

WarshipCam posted a photo on Twitter of the USS Connecticut submarine returning to US soil Sunday, more than two months after it was damaged in the South China Sea

WarshipCam shared a Twitter photo of the USS Connecticut submarine returning to US soil on Sunday. This was more than two years after its damage in the South China Sea.

USS Connecticut

The Connecticut fast attack submarine of Seawolf-class nuclear power is called the Connecticut.

The fifth U.S. Ship currently in active service has been named for Connecticut. Its history dates back to 1776. 

The Electric Boat Division at General Dynamics Corporation in Groton, Connecticut constructed it and launched it on September 1, 1997. 

Type and classSeawolf-class Submarine

Placement: 7,568 tons light, 9,137 tons full, 1,569 tons dead

Longitude: 353 ft

Beam40 Ft

Prototype36 feet

Motors: 1 S6W pressurized water reactor (PWR) 57,000 shp (43 MW) 

Supplement: 15 Officers, 101 Men 

‘The boat’s sonar dome became inoperable as a result of the collision, making it unsafe to travel underwater,’ the outlet said, adding the ballast tanks and forward section of the boat were also damaged.

The outlet stated that it will be fixed at Washington’s Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, Intermediate Maintenance Facility and Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.

It is not known how it got to the US from San Diego. The Navy didn’t respond to requests for comment.

The cost of repair and how long they will take is unknown.

The day after the USS Connecticut crashed into the submerged mountain, there was a flurry of tensions between China and the United States.

In just 24 hours, 56 record-breaking aircraft flew into this zone.

The 7th Fleet in the west Pacific determined that there was no foul play after an investigation and concluded in November that Connecticut had crashed into a mountain that rose from the seabed.

According to a spokesperson, the investigation found that USS Connecticut was on an unknown seamount and operating in international waters within the Indo-Pacific.

In the South China Sea, Beijing is making threats to Taiwan. The Navy continues to be on alert. 

The Taiwanese president has confirmed, for the first-time in October, that American troops have been stationed at the island. It was only days after Joe Biden made public statements confirming that he would defend America from China should the latter attack.

The accident came amid rising tension in the region. Some 150 Chinese warplanes violated Taiwan's 'air defense zone' at the weekend, including 52 which flew in the single-largest mission to date (pictured) triggering warnings of war

The incident occurred amid growing tension in the region. The accident occurred amid rising tension in the region.

The Seawolf-class fast marine will be repaired at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility in Washington. It is pictured in a 2016 file photo

It will be restored at Washington’s Puget Sound Naval Shipyard & Intermediate Maintenance Facility. This is the image from a file photo taken in 2016.

After the USS Connecticut accident, the US 7th Fleet announced that three employees were dismissed. 

Cameron Aljilani was relieved as commander by Vice Adm. Karl Thomas, Lieutenant Cmdr. Patrick Cashin will be the executive officer and Cory Rodgers, Master Chief Sonar Technician, will serve as chief of boat.

According to the statement, Thomas’s sound judgment, wise decision-making, and compliance with required procedures for navigation planning, execution by watch teams, and risk management, could have prevented this incident.