After eating trendy honey, a 5-year-old Italian girl developed a severe allergic reaction. 

After eating honey artisanal, the unidentified boy developed severe hayfever and went into anaphylactic shock. He was taken to Piacenza hospital. 

The patient had difficulty breathing and developed hives after eating the salmon-infused artisanal honey. 

It was found that he wasn’t allergic to fish or honey but had a reaction to more pollen from the fancy alternative.

Artisanal honey — which can cost upwards of £100 per jar — is usually produced in smaller batches than commercial alternatives and is not processed, pasteurised or filtered to the same extent.

Its antioxidants are praised by advocates as well as its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and other properties.

It contains much higher levels of pollen — a fine powder from plants which sticks to bees — than mass-produced honey, which filters out most of the pollen and is often diluted.

Anaphylaxis occurs when the body’s immune system overreacts to an external trigger, such as food and medication. 

Symptoms — such as breathing difficulties and a fast heartbeat — develop suddenly and get worse rapidly.

The boy’s case was revealed in a medical journal by doctors at Guglielmo da Saliceto Hospital in Piacenza, who warned about the potential dangers of artisanal product. 

One in four Britons — 16million people — and 24million Americans have hay fever — an allergy to pollen — but most cases are very mild. 

Artisan honey is not as thoroughly pasteurised and filtered as mass-produced honey, so contains much higher levels of pollen. This means people who are sensitive to pollen - who have hayfever - can develop allergic symptoms to the product

The honey from artisans isn’t as well pasteurized or filtered as the honey produced by mass-produced producers, and therefore contains more pollen. It is possible for people with allergies to pollen (hayfever) to develop allergy symptoms.

According to the medics, this is the first case of honey-induced asthma in children under 6.

Pediatricians must be mindful of the ‘potential risk of severe allergic reaction’ if children consume honey or bee Pollen products. 

MailOnline was told by Dr Joanna Lukawska at University College Hospital London that she had seen similar reactions in patients who have taken bee pollen supplements.

For added vitamins and mineral, you can purchase it from any health food store.


Hay fever can be caused by an allergic reaction to pollen. It occurs most commonly when the pollen is inhaled into your throat, eyes, and mouth. 

A fine powder made from pollen, which is produced by plants.

Pollen can cause hay fever in people who react as though it’s harmful.

Your nose’s cells secrete chemicals, which cause your mucus to build up and swell.

You can trigger this response by some animals, mould spores or house dust mites. 

The main symptoms are a runny nose, coughing and watery eyes.

Hay fever cannot be cured or prevented, but people can take antihistamines to help with the symptoms.

Dr Lukawska stated that most people would not have any problem with bee pollen.

“However, patients suffering from hay fever can develop allergies such as itchy throats, swelling of the throat, or anaphylaxis.

Because small batches of honey are not as strictly regulated than commercial products, artisanal honey may also cause the reaction.

They are more likely to have higher levels of pollen and other potential allergenic products like walnuts or pistachio nuts, said Dr Lukawska.

She said that this is not a problem, except for people who are allergic to honey.

Patients who are sensitive to pollen may also experience allergic reactions from eating pollen-rich fruits, like cherries and apples.

Dr Lukawska explained that while many can only eat one small piece of an apple, some can feel tingling in their mouths. But, if they drink whole glasses of fresh juice it can cause severe breathing difficulties.

They can however drink store-bought pasteurized apple juice, which eliminates any pollen.

MailOnline spoke with Professor Stephen Till from clinic Allergy London. He said that while he has never seen an allergic reaction to artisan honey in patients, he has witnessed many people who experience anaphylaxis when exposed to the bee pollen grains.

He stated that the patients had all been pollen-allergic and, given this common allergy, it is important to use such products with more caution.

Journal of Medical Case Reports published a report by medics revealing that they performed a skin-prick allergy testing to find out what had caused the allergic reaction in their patient, aged five years.

This involves putting a drop of liquid containing potential allergy triggers — salmon and honey in this case — and gently pricking the skin underneath the drop.

A patient allergic to the substance will quickly develop an itchy, red bump.

However, the reaction to honey from supermarkets or salmon was not seen in this particular case. The child developed a skin reaction when medics checked the type of honey that was used.

Additional skin tests showed that he was allergic the pollen in the artisan honey.

One year later, the doctor saw the child and advised him to avoid honey. He had never had another reaction.