Cleo Smith’s rescuers were applauded as they drank a pint at a pub in celebration of her safe return.

Nearly 50 officers, including data analysts and detectives, were treated to a hero’s welcome at the Carnarvon drinking hole. 

The group was part of Taskforce Rodia – the team responsible for finally ending an 18-day long search mission that began when Cleo was allegedly kidnapped from her family tent at the remote Blowholes campsite in Western Australia on October 16.

Terence Darrell Kelly (36), has been accused of multiple offences, including forcibly taking a minor child under 16. 

Many of the taskforce members were parents so their involvement in the search-and-rescue effort went beyond their police duties. For them, it was deeply personal.

The team behind the rescue of Cleo Smith were given a round of applause as they enjoyed a pint at a pub to celebrate the safe return of the four-year-old girl

Cleo Smith’s rescue team received a round of applause while they enjoyed a pint in a pub to celebrate her safe return.

Clutching a pink balloon, Cleo Smith was pictured in her mum's arms outside her Carnarvon home on Thursday, 24 hours after her incredible rescue

Cleo Smith, clutching a pink balloon, was photographed in her mum’s arms just outside her Carnarvon house on Thursday, 24 hours after her amazing rescue.

One of the officers who took part in the rescue mission was a father-to-be (pictured, Cleo being rescued)

One of the rescue officers was a father to be (pictured, Cleo being saved).

One of the officers is expecting a baby. The soon-to be father was part of the group who rescued Cleo when they stormed into the property of the housing commission and found the little girl locked in a locked bedroom just before 1am on Wednesday.

The celebrations will continue as the officers return home to Perth. 

Local surf shops are a popular place to buy souvenirs. A cap with the Carnarvon postcode “6701” appears to be the most popular souvenir.

The caps will serve to remind people of the time when a coastal town was brought down by the disappearance and rescue of a four year-old girl. 

Kurt Ford, Detective Senior Constable said officers had no expectations when they stormed the housing commission property after receiving tip-off. 

He stated that he didn’t think there were any expectations when he entered the room.

“If anything, our expectations weren’t great. It was an emotional experience to go in and it was a great result.

“I just saw a little girl sat there and didn’t think about anything but picking her up.”

Cleo was captured by body worn cameras as detectives rescue her from her locked bedroom at a Carnarvon housing agency property. It happened just before 1am.

It will be a memorable day for Chris Dawson, WA Police Commissioner. He recalled new details to state’s 7,200 officers in From The Line, an internal weekly publication.

‘It was an historic day that will be remembered in history as one the greatest achievements of WA Police Force. It will be a memorable day for many officers,’ Commissioner Dawson stated.

Western Australia Police Commissioner Chris Dawson (pictured) as shared new details of Cleo Smith's incredible rescue and how the little girl fell asleep in her mum's arms when he met Cleo on Wednesday

Western Australia Police Commissioner Chris Dawson (pictured) as shared new details of Cleo Smith’s incredible rescue and how the little girl fell asleep in her mum’s arms when he met Cleo on Wednesday

“My heart has burst since the moment I received a call from Col Blanch, Deputy Commissioner, advising of Cleo’s rescue just before 1am.

“Today, that pride should fill the hearts and minds of all employees at this great agency.”

Cleo was rescued just hours after her little sister Ellie Smith was saved. The commissioner met her with Jake Gliddon, her stepfather, and her grandparents at the family home.

He recalled that Cleo fell asleep in Ellie’s arms as she and her mum exchanged kisses and hugs.

“None of us will ever forget that day. It’s the reason we join the police force.

“From the bottom of my heart, which is so full of pride, I want to thank everyone… Enjoy this moment of history and let it take you forward in service to our community. 

Cleo also smiled and waved in hospital to WA Premier Mark McGowan. He described Cleo as well-adjusted, sweet, and delightful during his visit at the family home on Thursday.

Commissioner Dawson also recalled the heartbreaking moment he heard the audio of the little girl being saved and the first words she spoke to officers, saying: ‘My name’.

He stated that policing often sees the worst of society and that the circumstances surrounding Cleo’s kidnapping certainly fit that description.

Cleo is back in the arms of her mother Ellie Smith and stepfather Jake Gliddon (pictured on Thursday)

Cleo is now back in the arms her mother Ellie Smith (pictured on Thursday).

“But sometimes…we also have the great honor of being able to witness the best of humanity and Cleo’s rescue is one such occasion.

“It should be treasured.” 

Cleo’s parents have been instructed by police to not discuss their four-year-old daughter’s 18-day nightmare with them. 

Cameron Blaine, Detective Senior Sergeant, stated on Thursday that discussing details of what happened could jeopardize her case and dilute her information.

Terence Darrell Kelly (36), who is not related to the family, but lives only minutes away, was charged Thursday night with multiple offences, including Cleo’s kidnapping.  

He appeared at Carnarvon Magistrate’s Court Thursday afternoon and was denied bail.

Cleo’s parents were warned by police not to speak with Cleo until specialist child abuse detectives interview her.

Police officer's guard the Tonkin Crescent house in Carnarvon, WA where Cleo Smith was rescued

Cleo Smith was rescued from the Tonkin Crescent House in Carnarvon by a police officer

Detective Senior Sergeant Cameron Blaine (pictured) warned the parents discussing the details of what happened could jeopardise the prosecution's case by diluting the accuracy of Cleo's information

Cameron Blaine, Detective Senior Sergeant, warned the parents not to discuss the details of the incident as it could compromise the prosecution’s case. He also warned that disclosing the details could dilute Cleo’s information.

Senior Sergeant Blaine was one of four detectives that saved Cleo from the locked-room.

“It is not always the case for people to understand that, but we want a successful prosecution at end of day for those responsible.

“We have given them advice on that subject, and they must find it incredibly difficult, so we are grateful for their cooperation and assistance.”

He said that his family were ‘cooperative’ and understanding throughout the horrible ordeal. The police worked tirelessly in pursuit of Cleo’s alleged abductor.

Senior Sergeant Blaine stated that they understood where we were going with the investigation and what still needs to be done.

“Our family liaison officer will be going back out there now, to talk to them and guide them through the next steps.”

Cleo Smith's mother Ellie was seen with her daughter for the first time since her dramatic rescue on Thursday afternoon

Cleo Smith’s mother Ellie was reunited with her daughter for first time since Thursday’s dramatic rescue.

Little Cleo is seen getting into the car with her mother Ellie on Thursday afternoon, one day after she was rescued

Little Cleo and Ellie are seen getting in the car together on Thursday afternoon, just one day after her rescue.

Cleo was found alone in a room with toys by detectives. This heartwarming audio clip was first heard on Thursday. 

Sergeant Blaine can heard asking the little girl “what’s your name?” three times before she finally falteringly replied: ‘M-my name is Cleo.’

He stated that police had tried to share as much information with the parents, but that at this stage investigators are still putting together all the details. 

We share all information with them. Senior Sergeant Blaine stated that they know what they need.

“Obviously, we are still exploring all the facts. We are still getting information from many different sources. Some of the information is incorrect.

“So we are careful about what information is shared with people, and we want to be 100 percent sure of the facts.” 

Terry Kelly, 36, was taken away from Carnarvon police station, in Western Australia, after sustaining head injuries

Terry Kelly, 36, was taken from Carnarvon, Western Australia police station after sustaining head injuries.

It has been 45 hours since Kelly was dragged from his car by police at midnight on Wednesday. He was then placed in handcuffs. 

The process of charging has been delayed after Kelly was allegedly attacked by another prisoner inside a police holding cell within hours of his arrest.

After receiving medical treatment, he was released from the hospital with head injuries.

Police said that he was now back in hospital after he suffered new injuries from being alone in his cell.  

Police forensic teams are continuing to scour the Tonkin Crescent address where Cleo was found

Cleo’s Tonkin Crescent address is still being searched by police forensic teams. 

Thousands of missing person's posters were put up for Cleo Smith all over Carnarvon and surrounding areas

Cleo Smith was the victim of thousands of missing person posters in Carnarvon, and the surrounding areas.

Forensic officers are expected to be at the home where Cleo was found for days if not weeks

Cleo is expected to be found at her home by forensic officers for several days, if possible, weeks.

The WA Deputy Police Commissioner said that any future trial could be ruined if detectives try to rush the process. Seven’s Sunrise was informed by the Commissioner.

He stated that the most important thing for police is to ensure that they interview someone about serious offences like this. They will need them in a state where they have had a rest, are in a good mental condition, and have been fed.

“So, we have got to make sure that they have as many questions as possible and that the court process is validated if it gets to that point.  

When detectives first found the little girl alone in a room playing with toys Sergeant Blaine asked her 'what is your name?' three times before she finally falteringly replied: 'M-my name is Cleo'

Sergeant Blaine asked the little girl her name when she was first discovered by detectives in a room alone. After being asked three times by Sergeant Blaine, the little girl finally answered: “M-my name’

A beaming Cleo is seen from her hospital bed after she was rescued by police on Wednesday

After being rescued Wednesday by police, Cleo beams as she lies on her hospital bed.

Kelly had only been at Carnarvon Police Station for a few hours Wednesday when he was set upon by a prisoner. Kelly was then taken to hospital for his first time.

Daily Mail Australia heard from the mother of the prisoner that her son was ‘furious” when he found out why Kelly had been taken into custody.  

“As soon as he heard that this bloke was being arrested over that little Cleo,” the woman stated.

“I’m telling you, Kelly got a real hiding place… my son was put in shackles and taken to the hospital for treatment. He was in a terrible state. He is a big bloke, but he really got it.” 

A spokesperson for Western Australia Police Force said that detectives would not comment about the woman’s claims.

Kelly was loaded into an ambulance at the police station and taken to the hospital for treatment. A large white bandage was placed around Kelly’s head. 


 By Olivia Day for Daily Mail Australia

Friday, October 15

Cleo arrives at Blowholes campsite with her mother Ellie Smith, Jake Gliddon, and Isla Mae.

They arrived at sunset after a quiet night.

Saturday, October 16

1:30am: Cleo, four years old, asks for water after her parents last sighting.

6.23am Ellie calls 000 to report her eldest child missing. She continues to search for the camp ground.

6.30am: The Carnarvon station police station dispatches the first two officers. They will travel to Blowholes in order of priority, with sirens or lights.

6.41 am: Blowholes receives a second police vehicle with two additional officers.

7.10 a.m.: The first police car arrives. The second arrives in a few minutes.

7.26am: Police establish a protected area for forensic analysis on the spot. This area is taped off to public and surrounds the family tent where Cleo was last observed.

7.33am: A drone operator can be called upon to search the skies.

7.44 AM: A third police vehicle is dispatched to Blowholes

8am: Cleo’s relatives and friends start to arrive to help with ground search.

Another team of detectives searches Cleo’s house briefly to make sure she isn’t there.

They then travel to Blowholes, where they stop cars entering and leaving the area.

8.09am: A helicopter belonging to a local company arrived on the scene and began searching. Police requested that an SES team assist the Blowholes search.

8.24 am: Volunteer marine searchers and police air-wing are called in to assist in the search.

8.34 am: Police set up roadblocks at Blowholes to collect names, addresses, and registration details of all those who are coming and going. Police search cars.

9.25 AM: Nine SES personnel arrive at Blowholes in support of the search.

Investigators, bounty hunters and officers from the Australian Federal Police have spent two-and-a-half weeks searching for missing four-year-old Cleo (pictured)

Cleo, four-year-old Cleo disappeared. Australian Federal Police officers, bounty hunters and investigators spent two-and-a half weeks looking for her (pictured).

9.30am: Ellie is distressed and detectives are there to help her.

11:15am: Major Crime Division Homicide Detectives are called and start travelling from Perth to assist in the search.

1pm: Perth is home to more homicide detectives, search experts, and other investigators.

3:00pm: Carnarvon officers, search experts arrive to lend their expertise.

Sunday, October 17,

Ms Smith uses social media to appeal for help in finding her missing daughter.

A Facebook post dated Sunday, January 45th, stated that it had been more than 24 hours and I have not seen the sparkle in my little girl’s eyes since then.

“Please help me to find her!”

“If you hear or see any of these things, please call 911!”

Police suspect that Cleo was abducted.

Monday, October 18

Police release an image showing the red and gray sleeping bag that was missing from Cleo’s tent.

Cleo’s biological dad is interviewed by police at Mandurah. He is asked to give a statement which he freely gives.

With the assistance of SES members and volunteers, the WA Police continue their hunt for Cleo. Officers are still searching for Cleo’s shacks and vehicles.

Tuesday, October 19

Cleo’s mother Ellie Smith and Jake Gliddon are fronting the media for the first-time and describe the terrifying moment that they realized their little girl was missing.

Ms Smith claims that her four-year old would not have left the tent on her own.

Police release new photos of Cleo, and the pink-and-blue one-piece she wore the night she disappeared to assist with the investigation.

Investigators are urging anyone who was in the area or at the campsite on October 15th to contact police. 

Wednesday, October 20

Police have revealed that the zip of the tent was too high for Cleo, who was discovered by her mother hanging open at 6 a.m. Saturday morning.

Officers claim they haven’t ruled it out that campers heard the sound of tyres squealing in the early hours of Saturday morning.

Daryl Gaunt (Deputy Police Commissioner) confirmed that officers are looking into the whereabouts and activities of 20 registered sex offenders within the Carnarvon vicinity.

Thursday, October 21

Cleo’s location will be revealed by WA Premier Mark McGowan.

McGowan said that all Western Australians were thinking of Cleo and her family during this time of unimaginable difficulty.

“We are all praying for a positive result.”

The speed at which the reward was distributed – within days after her disappearance – was remarkable.

Pictured: Police are seen examining rubbish left near the Blowholes campsite in remote WA

Pictured: Police inspect rubbish left near the Blowholes campsite, remote WA 

Monday, October 25

WA Police confirm Cleo was at camp site – CCTV footage from a camera mounted inside a beach house just 20 meters from the tent she vanished from shows. 

Tuesday, October 26

On Tuesday, detectives and forensic officers spent a lot of time at her Carnarvon home, 900km north from Perth. They left with two bags of evidence.

Although investigators had been to this home before, it was the first time that they conducted a thorough search inside with a forensics team.

Col Blanch, acting WA Police Commissioner, said that the search of their family home was a’standard practice and did not indicate that they were suspects with Cleo’s disappearance.

Wednesday, October 27

WA Police forensics Officers return to Blowholes Campground and collect soil samples from a variety of campfires nearby shacks.

The Australian Federal Police officers were drafted by the federal government to assist in intelligence and forensic investigations.

Friday, October 29

Police return to Blowholes camp to examine the area with drones.

As the search for Cleo reaches the two-week mark, Detective Superintendent Rod Wilde returns back to Blowholes to join the hunt.

He confirmed that both national and international agencies are involved in the search for Cleo.

Sunday, October 31

Cleo’s hometown is 5km away when detectives knock on doors of a number homes along the North West Coastal Highway.

Monday, November 1

Detectives search through rubbish heaps at roadside bins hundreds of kilometres from the site where she vanished.

The material was then transported to Perth where forensic officers, recruits and other personnel sorted through hundreds upon hundreds of bags looking for items that might have helped them find Cleo.

Officers ask for CCTV footage and dash cam footage from within 1000km of the location where the four-year old disappeared.

Police renew their appeal for more businesses in Carnarvon, to provide footage, and to go door to door in an area of industrial land on the outskirts.

Her elated mother, Ellie, (pictured, with Cleo, her partner and younger daughter) broke her silence the morning Cleo was found, sharing a series of love heart emojis on Instagram

Ellie, her mother, is pictured with Cleo, her younger daughter and partner. Ellie broke her silence when Cleo was discovered, sharing a series love heart emojis via Instagram 

Wednesday, November 3

After two-and-a half weeks of searching, Cleo Smith was found alive and well in the early hours November 3.

Col Blanch, WA Police Deputy Commissioner, confirmed that Cleo was alive and well just before 7am AEST and that she had been reunited to her parents.

“One of the officers grabbed her and asked her what her name was. He replied. “She said, “My name is Cleo.”

Ellie Smith posted on social media: “Our family is whole again.”

Detectives are currently questioning a Carnarvon man.

On October 19, Ellie Smith (pictured) and her partner Jake Gliddon fronted the media for the first time and begged the public to report any information 'big or small'

Ellie Smith (pictured) with her partner Jake Gliddon appeared before the media on October 19. They asked the public to report any information, ‘big and small’, they received.