Sharon Gaffka from Love Island has recalled the frightening moment she found out her drink was spiked during a night out in London.
The 25-year-old explained that she went on a night with friends in July 2020, one year before she entered the Mallorca villa to film the ITV2 dating program. She was there to celebrate the opening of new pubs after the lift of the initial lockdown.
Sharon explained that she found herself in a situation which has ‘altered the way she behaves forever’.
Sharon wrote this for Grazia: “My friends found me in a toilet cubicle in an uncompromising place after I bumped my head on the toilet. I was barely breathing and my eyes were rolling into the back. No one could understand why this had happened.”
Sharon Gaffka from Love Island, 25 has recalled the frightening moment she discovered her drink had been spiked during a night out in London. Pictured in the Love Island villa
Sharon, who insists that she knows her alcohol limit but was unsure how it could happen, explained to her friends how they called the emergency services and were shocked that she was ‘dismissed as someone who was too drunk’.
It was only when her friend, who worked as a junior doctor, put up a fight that Sharon was taken seriously and whisked off to hospital.
She explained, “When you feel vulnerable, it’s only natural to turn towards the public services put into place to protect your safety.” “But why is it that when a female is in a vulnerable situation, without fault of her own, she’s dismissed for being irresponsible?”
After being seen to at hospital, Sharon was discharged with no memory of her treatment, but luckily a friend was there to take her home.
The 25-year-old (pictured) explained how the incident happened in July 2020 when she went on a night out with friends to celebrate pubs reopened following the lift of the first lockdown
Sharon (pictured), shared how her friends called the emergency service, but were horrified to learn that Sharon was ‘dismissed.’ Sharon was simply too drunk to tell them.
Later, Sharon called the hospital and learned they had detected something in her bloodstream that causes those who ingest it to pass out.
Sharon, who stated she could not even pronounce her name at the time, claimed that she was not tested for the date-rape drug GHB. Sharon claims that the hospital refused to test her because she did not request it.
‘I was informed that had I wanted to be tested, I should’ve gone to the police station,’ she said. “I can recall feeling let down and shameful that I had lost my inhabitations.
According to national police figures, there were almost 200 cases of drink spiking reported in September and October. There were also 24 reports of’spiking injection’.
Sharon (pictured), appeared on the most recent ITV2 dating show Love Island
Now, Sharon who is sharing her horrifying ordeal in a bid to encourage other women with similar experiences, has questioned: ‘How big does the number have to get before we see action?’
She is also participating in the Girls Night In Boycott – a movement that has seen men and women avoid going to bars and clubs because they demand safer customer service.
Local Instagram pages have been set up to spread the word about Girls Night In. Women from various universities will stay in, spreading awareness and challenging clubs to keep people safe.
This comes after hundreds of cases including injections and drink spiking were reported in recent months.
Emma, a student at Aberdeen University, spoke out last week about her ‘blackout’ experience. She had punctured her body after a night in the city.
She said that she knew something was wrong. I felt like I was going to pass away the next day, and couldn’t get up from my bed for the rest of that day.
The student is now on a course to prevent her from developing Hepatitis B. She fears that the needle may have been used elsewhere.
Another story made headlines this weekend when an Arbroath woman posted a photo of a jab mark she got after a night at an Aberdeen club.