The murder of a 52 year-old victim, who was burned badly in a caravan located in a park in country, is being tried by a man, 42.

  • Richard Thomas, 52 years old, was taken from the burning caravan early Monday morning. 
  • Thomas died at the hospital from his injuries.
  • Darren Smith, 42, is charged with his murder and spoke only to confirm his name and address at Newport Crown Court today before  being remanded in custody 
  • Smith will appear next week at Newport Magistrates Court 

Today, a man was charged in the death of another man after he was found severely burned inside a caravan at a park. 

Richard Thomas, 52 years old, was taken from the smoking caravan and died at hospital.  

Police were alerted by the police to the incident at 2.30 AM on Monday at the Beeches Residential Caravan Park, Knolbury, Monmouthshire.   

Thomas died later from injuries after being taken by ambulance to the hospital.   

Newport Magistrates Court heard Thomas sustained ‘extensive burns’ to his body.  

On Thursday, Darren Smith was arrested for the murder of Thomas.

Smith was also at the caravan park and spoke only to confirm his identity at Newport Magistrates court. He was then remanded into custody.

The next week, he’ll be at Cardiff Crown Court.  

Richard Thomas, 52, (pictured) was dragged from the smoking caravan but died from his injuries in hospital

Richard Thomas, 52 (pictured), was pulled from the caravan smoking, but was killed by his injuries at hospital.

Specialist officers are supporting Mr Thomas’s family.

The family spoke out saying that Richard Grenfell Thomas (known as Shrew) was their dearly loved and cherished son. Many of his friends and family will deeply miss him.

His sudden death shocked his siblings, parents, brother-in-laws as well as aunts, uncles, cousins, and brothers.

Richard took control of his life and lived every moment. A strong personality, well-known, and lively, he had a diverse circle of friends who shared his interests and were a great friend.

“Rest in Peace Richard. We know that even after death, you’ll still be your free spirit.”

Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Superintendent Nicky Brain said that Mr Thomas’ loved ones are in our thoughts and prayers.

“As the investigation continues, there’ll be continued police activity around this area. Thank you to all local residents who have supported and assisted us in this investigation.

“We don’t currently seek anyone else to be involved in this incident.”

Pictured: Police at the scene of Beeches Residential Caravan park where Mr Thomas died

Pictured: Officers at the Beeches Residential Caravan Park where Thomas was killed