Met Police officer, 30 years old, who locked himself in his home to protect his family’s death from Covid one month after he was admitted with the virus.

  • After a long battle with coronavirus, PC Amar Kalirai died on October 21.
  • The Met Police’s frontline officer joined them in 2016 and was based at Kentish Town
  • He was positive for Covid in August 2021, and he died in hospital on Oct 21. 
  • A tribute from colleagues stated that everyone wanted to work with him. 

After a month-long battle against Covid in hospital, a police officer who protected his family during lockdown died at the age of 30. 

His colleagues revealed that PC Amar Kalirai was a man “everybody wanted” to work with and died on October 21 after showing ‘no fear’ throughout his five-year service with Metropolitan Police. 

PC Kalirai was a member of Response Team D at Kentish Town in north London and had spent his entire time at Scotland Yard. Fellow officers stated that he ‘filled his fellow officers with confidence when he turned on to jobs’. 

It is not clear if PC Kalirai, who spent a large portion of 2020 shielding in order to protect vulnerable family members, had been vaccinated. 

His mother, father and grandmother, as well as his sister and three brothers, are his surviving relatives.

PC Kalirai had returned to frontline policing in April 2021, but at the end of August he tested positive for Covid-19, the Metropolitan Police Sikh Association (MPSA) yesterday revealed in a tribute to him.  

At the beginning of September, he was transferred to Northwick Park Hospital in north-west London. Surrounded by his family, he passed away peacefully on October 21st.

PC Amar Kalirai passed away on October 21, having showed 'no fear' during his five-year service with the Metropolitan Police

PC Amar Kalirai, who had shown ‘no fear’ throughout his five-year tenure with the Metropolitan Police, died on October 21.

PC Kalirai was sent to Northwick Park Hospital (pictured) in north west London at the start of September but passed away peacefully in the early hours of October 21, surrounded by family

PC Kalirai was transferred to Northwick Park Hospital (pictured), in north west London at start of September. She died peacefully in her home surrounded by family in the early morning of October 21st.

A touching tribute by his friends and colleagues, posted by the MPSA, read: ‘Whilst maybe not in height, (PC Kalirai) was a giant of a man. He was a quiet individual who never showed fear and filled his colleagues’ confidence when they saw him at work.

Amar is a great guy to work with. He was a professional, well-trained, and dealt with every job with great integrity. 

“And while he worked hard, his style and love for cars made him happy.  

All who knew ‘Amar’ will miss him deeply. We send our condolences to his family and keep them in our thoughts and prayers.

“We have it from there buddy.” 

The Metropolitan Police Sikh Association posted a tribute to PC Kalirai, written by colleagues and friends, revealing he died at age 30 after contracting Covid

The Metropolitan Police Sikh Association posted an obituary for PC Kalirai written by colleagues and close friends. It stated that he died in his 30s after contracting Covid. 

A JustGiving page set up to raise £500 to remember him has already brought in twice the target, with more than £1,100 now donated. 

The tribute was posted by the Metropolitan Police Federation, and well-wishers left dozens of condolences.

One said, “RIP Amar. Thank you for all your efforts. We are thinking of you and your family.

Another wrote: “So triste, sleep well my friend. Thank you for everything you did.”

A third person said: “RIP Amar. I never knew you but you are a brother to Blue and it hurts always to lose a family member in Blue.” Your shift is finished, and you are thanked.